Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Indigo2 newcomer - what, why, and why does it do that?

What? Nothing that special for most of you: a teal Indigo2, R4400 200MHz, Extreme, 2GB Seagate HDD, 128MB RAM when bought. Acquired in February, since upgraded with an additional 128MB RAM (I was lucky to have 4 32MB SIMMs of the right spec in the back of a cupboard from an old Compaq Deskpro XL) and a 9GB HDD in place of the 2GB it came with - the messages about the drive being 95% full when there was no apparent user data on there prompted that.

I've noted below some quirks and curiosities - if anyone can shed any light, it would be much appreciated. Apologies for the length and possible straying into territory better suited to another forum, but I've been mulling this for a while and would like to get it all down at once.

Why did I get it? In no particular order:

1. I once spent a couple of days with a couple of chaps at BioSym in San Diego, looking at the visualisation of complex (or so they seemed at the time) organic salts. That was in April 1995, and we were using a Personal IRIS and a teal Indigo2, which was then a fairly new toy in that research group. The "Insight" software for (among many things) turning x-ray diffraction data into images on screen seemed amazing, and while I have had nothing to do with that field for many years, I've not forgotten the experience, it would be good to see what else the I2 can turn its hand to.

2. It's a proper Unix machine, to compare with Linux (I have Ubuntu 11.04 and Debian stable/testing on other machines). First impression is that the organisation of directories is rather different, though that may be just the way the previous owner had set things up (/usr/people for user directories, rather than /home, for example).

3. It uses PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and I had a couple of free spaces on the KVM. Perhaps I should have gone for an O2, or - had I known one would come up 2 weeks later - an I2 Impact.

4. It's about the same vintage as my other classic, an Acorn RiscPC, a model launched in 1994 but heavily upgraded since (for those interested: Kinetic StrongARM at 233MHz, RISC OS Adjust 4.39, 384MB RAM and 2MB VRAM). Interesting to compare the two machines - two very different implementations of desktop computing.

5. The inexplicably pleasant sense of having acquired at very modest cost something that was once very expensive - so much desired but so out of reach.

No pictures yet, but I am sure you don't need any of a stock teal I2! Suffice to say that the condition seems very good, and it still has its locking bar and full fascia.

Quirks and curiosities so far:
A cold start sometimes fails, but things seem fine after pushing the reset button. Sometimes it fires up straight from cold.
The date remembered by the machine is July 1993, but a quick "date" command fixes that for the rest of the session - I assume the clock battery is dead.

The drive sled is blue plastic (though I've since acquired a metal one). Does a plastic sled present any problems? (other than the fact that it is awkward to slide in and out because of the little protrusion either side, making it just to wide for the gap in the skin).

I have managed to clone the 2GB drive's contents, but only by creating an xfsdump file, then as a separate command xfsrestore-ing that file onto the larger disk. Joining the commands with | did not work - early attempts produces screens of output but nothing written to the destination disk, as if the pipe was not passing things through properly - and when I have tried it again more recently xfsdump returns an error about the hostname being of zero length (I now want to move from a 9GB disk to 18GB or 73GB). I did try the alternative approach using tar, but that also failed - it was two months ago and I did not keep a note of the errors but again got the impression that the pipe was not acting as it should.

A Fujitsu MAP3147NP was recognised by fx but produced a loss of errors when trying to partition/mkfs, but a 73GB version of the same model seems to be fine. The MAP3xxxNP series is useful as it has a jumper to force narrow mode, so a passive 68-50pin adapter should be OK. I also have a Seagate 146GB drive lying around but that is wide-only, and the active adapter I have would not fit into the sled, but I might try an external enclosure for that.

It came with IRIX 6.5 (no indication of a sub-version number, so perhaps base 6.5 only) plus some freeware. Having cloned the disk, I put it away for safe keeping in case I need to go back to square one! I have installed all the patches/upgrades to 6.5.22 that did not involve conflicts, and upgraded from Netscape 4.0.5 to 4.8 using the package from SGI's website. However, after the 6.5.22 updates, autoconfig stumbled over xtimer, llc2 and snif - because xtimer.a is not present. I have overcome this temporarily by commenting out the relevant "USE" lines in irix.sm, and autoconfig then built a new kernel. Things seem to work, so:
- what functions do xtimer, llc2 and snif provide? and when would I notice their absence?
- is there any alternative software that provides the same functions? (assuming I do notice!)

After the updates, booting and shutting down seems to take much longer than it did before. Is this most likely a symptom of later 6.5 versions of core software stretching an R4400 / 256MB a bit further than the base 6.5 versions? Or would a 2GB IBM DCAS32160 tend to outperform a Seagate ST39173N, assuming both have XFS partitions made using mkfs defaults? (The 9GB has 0.5GB swap space, the rest as root; the IBM had proportionately less swap but also a single root partition rather than separate root and usr).

I had been expecting to install Linux or NetBSD (though the lack of X support is a bit off-putting), being aware that proprietary IRIX might make second user hobbyist use difficult. I have however been very impressed with the level of community support - primarily nekochan, but also the SGI techpubs/freeware resources and mapesdhs's technical notes.

What next?
1. Sort out the xfsdump/restore problem, so I can clone / migrate to a larger drive efficiently.
2. Sort out NFS exports so I can back up sensibly.
3. Fitting a DVD-ROM internally, once I've acquired a sled - I happen to have a Toshiba SM1401 on hand.
4. Perhaps more RAM, especially if it would speed things up appreciably, though the right 32MB SIMMs do not seem to common at what I would regard as a sensible price for my usage, so that may go by the by.
5. Exploring the SGI freeware and nekoware suites - lots to do there, obviously! A nice milestone will be logging on to nekochan using the I2 itself.
6. by way of competition to the I2, finishing an install of NetBSD to the RiscPC - and accommodating the arrival of our first child in June! (where's a trepidation smilie when you need one?)

Cheers,
Andrew
Congrats... sounds like a nice buy. I recently picked up a boat load of I2s and have been working on resurrecting them. That project is only partially complete: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16725178

There are a lot of good apps that are part of nekoware. I've recently been experimenting with ffplay, ffpmeg and mplayer. My O2 is now playing (low quality) videos, and I've got xmms playing out some period-appropriate 90s era rock too :-)

Since you're wondering about disk performance, Ian Mapleson has published disk performance numbers for an extensive set of SCSI drives. Check his page out here and you might find the drives you are trying to compare: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/diskdata.html

Do you plan on using your system for programming or just general pottering around? Re your comment about upgrading Netscape, you'll get Firefox with nekoware, but I also find Dillo very handy. Yes, it won't do any complex websites, but if you're just running google queries and looking up mostly text based websites, most news sites, wikipedia etc. it is very, very fast and works without consuming much RAM. Instead of opening up multiple FF tabs, you might be better off using FF only for the more "modern" websites that absolutely need it.
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
ajw99uk wrote: After the updates, booting and shutting down seems to take much longer than it did before. Is this most likely a symptom of later 6.5 versions of core software stretching an R4400 / 256MB a bit further than the base 6.5 versions? Or would a 2GB IBM DCAS32160 tend to outperform a Seagate ST39173N, assuming both have XFS partitions made using mkfs defaults? (The 9GB has 0.5GB swap space, the rest as root; the IBM had proportionately less swap but also a single root partition rather than separate root and usr).

The Seagate should be faster, it's a slightly newer 7200RPM disk compared to the 5400RPM IBM. I'd just get something newer than either of those two for the system. I've got a 3.5" SCA Maxtor Atlas V with an SCA-50pin adapter in one of mine and it works fairly nicely. Not that that's particularly new anymore either :P Should really test a 2.5" SCA disk in one of these machines sometime..

Whatever you get you obviously won't get particularly high datarates due to the SCSI bus bottleneck in the box, but a disk that's capable of more IOs per second is probably still slightly faster in practice..
:O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :O200: :O3x0: :Onyx2R:
First off, welcome and congratulations! (For the sprog, of course.) What a lot of questions you have - good practice because in an eyeblink your new son or daughter will be asking you "Why?" every second word... :lol:

I was going to recommend the NekoWiki Disk Cloning Guide , but it sounds as if you got past labeling and partitioning. Some old SystemV-ish systems had some lame issues around their implementation of pipes, but I'm thinking of old SCO UNIX rather than IRIX - I've done what you're attempting to do with no problem.

Filesystem layouts beyond / and /usr were fairly variable amongst UNIX vendors. /home was in use a lot of different places - numerous university Sun-3/Sun-4 installations come to mind - but AFAIK was not an out-of-the-box convention until Linux distros made it so. So you'll see /opt on some systems, /var on most everything unless you go waaaay back, etc.

For TOD battery issues, note that per this post the battery location will require minor disassembly of the machine. There's also this guide by our own pentium for hacking in a coin cell battery holder. He references some additional sites, and searching for "NVRAM battery replacement" is usually fruitful.

That's it for me, for this sitting. Enjoy!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Indigo2 is nice system, but the 200 MHz R4400 is not very fast by modern standards. I would not spend too much for the upgrades and use the money to buy Fuel instead.

Installing NetBSD to Acorn RiscPC is easy, but getting it to work is not so easy. I tried to get it working couple years ago on 3 different systems, but it always froze on boot. Maybe you have better luck now. I always liked the design of RiscPC but after my Viewfinder died I gave away my RiscPCs and bought Iyonix instead. It would be really hard now to go back using RiscPC.
A great machine to use to get reacquainted with IRIX! Congrats, and welcome!

ajw99uk wrote: First impression is that the organisation of directories is rather different, though that may be just the way the previous owner had set things up (/usr/people for user directories, rather than /home, for example).

/usr/people is the IRIX default, but the location is completely arbitrary. For a list of default directories as found on a "factory installed" version of IRIX, check out http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... 458-PARENT

ajw99uk wrote: I have managed to clone the 2GB drive's contents, but only by creating an xfsdump file, then as a separate command xfsrestore-ing that file onto the larger disk. Joining the commands with | did not work - early attempts produces screens of output but nothing written to the destination disk, as if the pipe was not passing things through properly - and when I have tried it again more recently xfsdump returns an error about the hostname being of zero length (I now want to move from a 9GB disk to 18GB or 73GB).

Sounds a bit odd. You might want to triple check that you are typing the command correctly. I've found that I need to be extremely careful when typing xfsdump commands using pipes; I tend to want to put directories or other options in the wrong place. Weird syntax; very easy to screw it up.

ajw99uk wrote: It came with IRIX 6.5 (no indication of a sub-version number, so perhaps base 6.5 only) plus some freeware.

Type "uname -aR" If that doesn't give a sub-version, than the original was, indeed, 6.5.0.

ajw99uk wrote: Having cloned the disk, I put it away for safe keeping in case I need to go back to square one!

Smart!

ajw99uk wrote: After the updates, booting and shutting down seems to take much longer than it did before. Is this most likely a symptom of later 6.5 versions of core software stretching an R4400 / 256MB a bit further than the base 6.5 versions?

Try "chkconfig esp off" as root (or via su) and then reboot.

ajw99uk wrote: I had been expecting to install Linux or NetBSD (though the lack of X support is a bit off-putting), being aware that proprietary IRIX might make second user hobbyist use difficult. I have however been very impressed with the level of community support - primarily nekochan, but also the SGI techpubs/freeware resources and mapesdhs's technical notes.

You'll always get more performance from this machine using IRIX, which is highly optimized for the hardware, than from using one of the BSDs or Linux. Nothing against trying the latter options, but I think most people end up gravitating back to IRIX on the old hardware.

ajw99uk wrote: 4. Perhaps more RAM, especially if it would speed things up appreciably, though the right 32MB SIMMs do not seem to common at what I would regard as a sensible price for my usage, so that may go by the by.

Unless you are seeing a lot of active swapping (watch the memory bar in "gr_osview -a" for example), 256 MB is probably enough for most things, aside from browsing modern web pages. The cpu itself is not the zippiest, so don't expect web browsing ever to be fast, for example, even with 1 GB of RAM.

Good luck, and, again, welcome aboard!
200MHz is still usable under 6.5 for many things (they're a bit slow for what should be silly little tasks like webbrowsing, but overblown modern software such as Firefox and OpenOffice is to blame), but Octane or Fuel do have noticeably more kick.

Don't worry about the aftermarket sled - they work just fine except for being harder to install. I suppose you could look at the jumper on the Fujitsu as a plus, but I always looked on it as "our disks can't figure out the bus width on their own so you have to tell them". Then Indigo2's 10MB/sec SCSI bus does get a bit slow for big transfers, but for contemporary (mid '90s) stuff it's just fine. IRIX 5.3+ is new enough to where it's usable and can mostly be figured out by someone used to modern SysV-derived systems (for fun get something really old such as Xenix or SunOS 3 and see what inspired the UNIX Hater's Handbook). 256MB is OK for playing around, I'd stay stick with it and if you want to get something a bit faster later go for a newer system.

SGI freeware is old enough to be of limited use, go for Nekoware-MIPS3 when possible.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I found 6.5 too slow for a system that supposed to be the fastest workstation. I much rather accept it's limitations and run 5.3 on it where it's fast and there's still a good library of software available online.

If you have the 200MHz 1MB model and want to see it fly, install 4.0.5. on it but it's tough to get sw to run on it.
:Indigo2: Extreme R4400 200MHz (1MB L2) 160MB
sgifanatic wrote: Congrats... sounds like a nice buy. I recently picked up a boat load of I2s and have been working on resurrecting them. That project is only partially complete: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16725178

Thanks - and good luck with the boatload; I'd never get away with that at home ("one in, one out" policy, which I do manage to bend with something small but the big blue boxes are quite noticeable!).

sgifanatic wrote: Since you're wondering about disk performance, Ian Mapleson has published disk performance numbers for an extensive set of SCSI drives. Check his page out here and you might find the drives you are trying to compare: http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/diskdata.html

Do you plan on using your system for programming or just general pottering around? Re your comment about upgrading Netscape, you'll get Firefox with nekoware, but I also find Dillo very handy. Yes, it won't do any complex websites, but if you're just running google queries and looking up mostly text based websites, most news sites, wikipedia etc. it is very, very fast and works without consuming much RAM. Instead of opening up multiple FF tabs, you might be better off using FF only for the more "modern" websites that absolutely need it.

Mostly general pottering until I get more used to it, but hope to graduate to some landscape visualisation eventually. Might have moved on to a Fuel by then! I have used Dillo and found it useful, as you say, for everyday browsing with FF in reserve. Same approach with Netsurf on the RiscPC (though the FF port there is really to slow and fragile to be useful).
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
mmk wrote:
ajw99uk wrote: After the updates, booting and shutting down seems to take much longer than it did before. Is this most likely a symptom of later 6.5 versions of core software stretching an R4400 / 256MB a bit further than the base 6.5 versions? Or would a 2GB IBM DCAS32160 tend to outperform a Seagate ST39173N, assuming both have XFS partitions made using mkfs defaults? (The 9GB has 0.5GB swap space, the rest as root; the IBM had proportionately less swap but also a single root partition rather than separate root and usr).

The Seagate should be faster, it's a slightly newer 7200RPM disk compared to the 5400RPM IBM. I'd just get something newer than either of those two for the system. I've got a 3.5" SCA Maxtor Atlas V with an SCA-50pin adapter in one of mine and it works fairly nicely. Not that that's particularly new anymore either :P Should really test a 2.5" SCA disk in one of these machines sometime..

Whatever you get you obviously won't get particularly high datarates due to the SCSI bus bottleneck in the box, but a disk that's capable of more IOs per second is probably still slightly faster in practice..

HD upgrade options:
ST118xxxN - half-height so will be a tighter fit
ST318417N
IBM DNES 18GB 50pin
Fujitsu MAP373xNP or MAP3147NP (though the SCSI bus seems not to like the 146GB version)
ST3146807LW - seems fine in an external box with space for the active 68/50pin adapter

The smaller drives are probably more useful to me with the RiscPC (also narrow SCSI only, maximum 4MB/s or so, and the SCSI manager seems to dislike partitions over 32GB), so - assuming I get the cloning to work, or some media for a fresh install - I'll be going for the larger drives in the I2.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
metallizer wrote: I found 6.5 too slow for a system that supposed to be the fastest workstation. I much rather accept it's limitations and run 5.3 on it where it's fast and there's still a good library of software available online.

If you have the 200MHz 1MB model and want to see it fly, install 4.0.5. on it but it's tough to get sw to run on it.

Noted, thanks. It came with 6.5, but worth bearing older versions in mind when looking (elsewhere!) for media.
SAQ wrote: Don't worry about the aftermarket sled - they work just fine except for being harder to install. I suppose you could look at the jumper on the Fujitsu as a plus, but I always looked on it as "our disks can't figure out the bus width on their own so you have to tell them".

Happier not worrying about unterminated lines (at least, I assume the jumper will deal with that), though I know they don't always cause problems.
SAQ wrote: if you want to get something a bit faster later go for a newer system.

I'm hooked, so that is now the longer term plan! Probably a Fuel, and as theinonen has said I'll be saving rather for that than spending on upgrades for the I2 (except perhaps a CD sled).
josehill wrote: A great machine to use to get reacquainted with IRIX! Congrats, and welcome!

Thank you for your answers - and to all for being so encouraging.
josehill wrote:
ajw99uk wrote: I have managed to clone the 2GB drive's contents, but only by creating an xfsdump file, then as a separate command xfsrestore-ing that file onto the larger disk. Joining the commands with | did not work - early attempts produces screens of output but nothing written to the destination disk, as if the pipe was not passing things through properly - and when I have tried it again more recently xfsdump returns an error about the hostname being of zero length (I now want to move from a 9GB disk to 18GB or 73GB).

Sounds a bit odd. You might want to triple check that you are typing the command correctly. I've found that I need to be extremely careful when typing xfsdump commands using pipes; I tend to want to put directories or other options in the wrong place. Weird syntax; very easy to screw it up.

I have been as careful as I can, and tried variants. It was frustrating when even the dump-to-file attempt failed. Did syntax change subtly over time? (say, whether to leave a space between an option-flag and its value: -l 0 or -l0 for a zero-level dump, for instance, or should the space not matter?)

Last night, as single-user launched from the PROM monitor, I could not even get a pipe character - that may be a function of using the keyboard through a KVM.

uname was returning "6.5", it now returns "6.5 6.5.22m", which confirms I did have only the base 6.5 installed.

esp is now off, thanks for the tip - I do like chkconfig as such a simple way of managing what the machine loads.
theinonen wrote: Installing NetBSD to Acorn RiscPC is easy, but getting it to work is not so easy. I tried to get it working couple years ago on 3 different systems, but it always froze on boot. Maybe you have better luck now. I always liked the design of RiscPC but after my Viewfinder died I gave away my RiscPCs and bought Iyonix instead. It would be really hard now to go back using RiscPC.

I did say "finish installing" - the sets are loaded, and I can boot into single-user. That was the (relatively) easy part, as you say - straight off a 5.0.2 CD - now to get it to do anything! The Kinetic processor does not use DMA, so a Viewfinder would be less of a bonus and the normal resolutions are OK on a 17in monitor (I got the Kinetic in a swap with someone who wanted to revert to normal StrongARM so as to get better VF performance!).
ajw99uk wrote: The Kinetic processor does not use DMA, so a Viewfinder would be less of a bonus and the normal resolutions are OK on a 17in monitor (I got the Kinetic in a swap with someone who wanted to revert to normal StrongARM so as to get better VF performance!).

That was what I thought before getting that Viewfinder podule and using the bigger screen modes for some time. Hard to go back using smaller screen modes after that. Though, I did not have Kinetic but had the overclocked Turbo StrongARM thingy.

Viewfinder was actually working fine before I did stupid thing and flashed newer software to the card. After that it would come up with screen full of garbage and only randomly work like it was supposed to be. John Kortink was really helpful and send me couple older versions of the Viewfinder software when I mailed him, but unfortunately it still refused to work properly.

I currently have HP LA2405wg 24" monitor with resolution of 1920x1200 and 16 million colours hooked on my Iyonix, and it really is joy to use.