Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Irix 6.5 - C++ compiler?

Hi guys,

Just got my Indy r5000 going, has IRIX 6.5 on it.

Couple of questions, main one being is there a C++ compiler by default, and what's the command-line usage?

I wrote a quick hello world in Nedit, and when I saved it, the icon is a c++ icon, so it must be recognising the .cpp extension. I tried to compile with gcc in terminal, but no luck.

Second question is, and bear with me, but Terminal is the same as Console, right? That is, for command line, I go into Toolchest -> Desktop -> Start Unix Shell. I haven't been able to find Console any other way.

Cheers.
Commercial UNIXes, ( AIX, HPUX, IRIX, Solaris etc) stopped bundling compilers in years ago, it was another opportunity for revenue.

The two options for IRIX are GCC or MIPSpro. I personally use GCC from TWW.
Kaybro wrote:
Second question is, and bear with me, but Terminal is the same as Console, right? That is, for command line, I go into Toolchest -> Desktop -> Start Unix Shell. I haven't been able to find Console any other way.

Not exactly. A console displays various status and error messages that terminals do not display. Also, a user can only have one console at a time.

To start a console via the Toolchest, use Toolchest -> System -> Utilities -> Start New Console.

For more info, see the man page for winterm , paying special attention to the console option (-console or -C).

For extra credit, examine the contents of the following scripts:
/usr/sbin/startconsole
/usr/sbin/winterm
josehill wrote:
Not exactly. A console displays various status and error messages that terminals do not display. Also, a user can only have one console at a time.

And not exactly. You can have more than one console active at the same time, I'm doing it right now. :)

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote:
josehill wrote:

And not exactly. You can have more than one console active at the same time, I'm doing it right now. :)

System consoles to the same system via winterm? Do both windows display the same system messages simultaneously? If not, only one of them is a real console. When startconsole or the "open new console" command is used, the last one opened becomes the console, while the previous ones become regular terminal windows.
When you have more than one console open they both show the system status messages. They are separate processes/shells, though, so you can be running separate commands in them.

I would recommend one console (to see messages) and do your work in winterms (so you don't get the system messages mucking things up).

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
I guess I stand corrected. So much for what the man page says.
SAQ wrote:
When you have more than one console open they both show the system status messages. They are separate processes/shells, though, so you can be running separate commands in them.

I would recommend one console (to see messages) and do your work in winterms (so you don't get the system messages mucking things up).

as always, console for output, terminal for input :D