Everything Else

Christmas is coming & the wicked witch is gone..

Actually she's not a wicked witch at all, we spent 17 years married & a few years before & I still love her in a way.. but I just ran out of loft space and had to move on.

BUT, she's sold the house and emptied the loft, my daughter sent me the picture below of [some] of the stuff, well:

I see an 6100 System keyboard from my old IBM RT (I wonder if I still have that.
Boxed Sanyo PC 8086 (I think) dual floppies.
Some SGI Software, OS/2 Warp Red, Blue and Connect or Warp 4.
COMPUTER BATTLESHIPS!! WOO HOO!
Sega Saturn Steering Wheel.
A Christmas tree stand..
Can't make out what the unit is under the black box, looks like a cable has been cut off.

IMG_1985.jpeg
Goodies
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
The loft is a magic place!
No wicked witch can win!
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
An IBM RT! Fun!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Received a pile of stuff tonight, had to take it to work to unload..
IPC / LX etc

This baby turned on first time after some 13 years

And more to go through tomorrow
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I might have a plan for that Macintosh :
  • remove the mobo-68000, and the VDU
  • directly interface the CRT
  • put an LC475-68040 mobo inside
  • interface the LC475 video to the CRT (and adapt it, in case of need)
  • put a 10Mbit lan on the mobo
  • put my gentoo/m68k stage4 on an internal SCSI HD, or a debian-68k
  • hack the first stage boot loader, and "bless" it with something that can load linux
  • enjoy the yet an other text linux box (extremely good as … text console for Irix)

oh, well, and I am happy because I have sold out 2 SUN boxes (HD boxes) like yours :D
(honey money, 20 euro for 2 boxes, I can buy a lot of candies now :lol: )
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
ivelegacy wrote: I might have a plan for that Macintosh :
  • remove the mobo-68000, and the VDU
  • directly interface the CRT
  • put an LC475-68040 mobo inside
  • interface the LC475 video to the CRT (and adapt it, in case of need)
  • put a 10Mbit lan on the mobo
  • put my gentoo/m68k stage4 on an internal SCSI HD, or a debian-68k
  • hack the first stage boot loader, and "bless" it with something that can load linux
  • enjoy the yet an other text linux box (extremely good as … text console for Irix)

oh, well, and I am happy because I have sold out 2 SUN boxes (HD boxes) like yours :D
(honey money, 20 euro for 2 boxes, I can buy a lot of candies now :lol: )

I recall (well my daughter reminded me tonight) that we were going to make a fish tank out of it. Which is 100 times better than your loony loonix suggestion :D (give my regards to lady gaga)
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote: fish tank

oh well, you say that because you haven't seen my extremely beautiful aquarium made of comics fishes :D

I added a dolphin , because Gaga absolutely wanted a dolphin ...
and she also wanted an ostrich , but wtf has an ostisth to do inside a virtual fish tank ?

currently it's proof alpha code which requires xlib from X.org/X11
so you need to put a dead dinosaur inside the macintosh just to see .. a few fishes & a dolphin ...
but (trust me) with a bit of extra effort
it's possible to reimplement as directly frame buffer
(when your fishes & dolphin can directly access /dev/fb0 )
so it will look delicious & light, like a candy

uunix wrote: (give my regards to lady gaga)

( done, as your risk :lol: )
So, spent the day going through stuff..
Mac Classic works fine.. Never checked the date, but macs are so hippy, they probably don't care.
The SUN IPC has no hard drive, but does have BNC / AUI Ethernet and it's fully populated with simms (no idea how much).*
The SUN LX would not boot with a failure of Date/MAC Address and loopback issue (guessed it would be due to the clock). I had checked inside both machines for sign of leaky corrosion beforehand and all looked good.
So brought the LX back home and plugged into my INDIGO monitor and it failed to display! (13w3??? WTF) so, in my booty I also had a BELKIN to VGA convertor.. used that on a Sony SDM and it displayed fine.
Set the NVRAM to default and booted.
Excellent, logged in with my current admin type password and I was in to CDE. Set the Gateway, Nameserver and new IP address and it's up and running... BUT BY FUCK IT'S SLOW!! *I'm not sure I want to turn on the IPC considering how slow the LX is. It has CG6 built in and a 100MB Ethernet SBUS card that works fine. Found helloworld.c and come program I had written for coursework and can't make head nor tail of it!

Software wise, most versions of OS/2, and Netware and very old MAC system 7 stuff, also Lotus 123 for UNIX.. every UNIX except IRIX, SOLARIS & AIX PHAH!
An interesting Pioneer MSX system with a separate keyboard.
No RT as yet.

Oh and possibly the greatest find.. my INDY CAM!!!
Plugged in now, and it's spookily good!

Lots of serial, SCSI, strange cables.. all in all an excellent days hunting!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Glad you've finally got it all back! Guess you'll be adding some new imagery to your sig in the coming days... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: Glad you've finally got it all back! Guess you'll be adding some new imagery to your sig in the coming days... :mrgreen:

I would, but only have 1 SGI and I have no idea how to get images of other machines.

On another note, yes the SUN LX lost it's date, but also lost the mac address and hostid. There are no stickers on the box with any info, anyone know if these are held in files on the system somewhere, it's SUNOS 5.7
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
the hostid sticker is usually on the timekeeper. don't know if they are in a file.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Glad to hear you got all your stuff back! What's the spec on the Indy? :)
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200: