Everything Else

Steamroller

I'm not sure if anyone here is interested, but since I can now afford it, I'm building a bike (again)...

https://goo.gl/photos/mASGuGM827T9aREQA
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I love race bicycles by Bianchi , I have an old (1991) Bianchi Vento 605,12 Kg of steel frame, thin spoke wheels, cranks, brakes and derailleur made by Campagnolo, used to go to the lake every day. 80Km round trip.

I have recently written a letter to santa claus
- [i]Dear, a new Bianchi Cento Strade under the tree.
Aluminum frame, no more than 6 Kg -

what is the english of this part ? crank ?

what are these tapes used for ? where have you bought them ?
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
ivelegacy wrote: I love race bicycles by Bianchi , I have an old (1991) Bianchi Vento 605,12 Kg of steel frame, thin spoke wheels, cranks, brakes and derailleur made by Campagnolo, used to go to the lake every day. 80Km round trip.

I have recently written a letter to santa claus
- Dear, a new Bianchi Cento Strade under the tree.
Aluminum frame, no more than 6 Kg -

Neato.

ivelegacy wrote: what is the english of this part ? crank ?

what are these tapes used for ? where have you bought them ?

I'm not too hot about just copying my photos, though for the forum I suppose I don't mind much. You could've just linked them and saved neko some drive space.

The first photo is a crank, yes, or crank arm. It's the drive-side portion of the formerly Truvativ now SRAM Omnium "GXP" external bearing crankset. Very smooth, and stupidly easy to install/maintain. Not quite as hot as the RaceFace X-type that they copied, but near enough and specially designed for single speed.

The second photo is a bunch rolls of cotton handlebar tape. Can't have enough of those. I prefer cotton to the foam stuff people usually use because it leaves the handlebar thinner and less "slimy", though naturally it reduces the shock absorption. Gloves are kind of a must if you plan to go further than the shop. I got those from http://www.singlespeedshop.de/ , a great shop for my kind of bicycling.
Some day maybe I'll try cork, but that just seems a little too retro-fantastic.

My plan is to put a porteur rack on the front of this one, and if I can manage it fenders, but even with the wide surly frame I may have to put smaller tires on it for that. The 32c marathons I got on now are a bit too fat. I already have a pretty aggressive (and pink) fuji feather, so this was supposed to be an every day work bike type of thing.

I had it out for a test-fit on the yard before cutting the steering tube, and it seems to run beautifully, tomorrow I'll slap some tape on the handlebar and take it for a real spin :-)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
duck wrote: You could've just linked them and saved neko some drive space

emm, it's a link, [ img ] your link [ /img ]
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
ivelegacy wrote:
duck wrote: You could've just linked them and saved neko some drive space

emm, it's a link, [ img ] your link [ /img ]

Oh, sorry.
I am going to order a few cotton handlebar tapes, thank you for the tips, my bicycle really needs them (worn-out) :mrgreen:
ivelegacy wrote: I am going to order a few cotton handlebar tapes, thank you for the tips, my bicycle really needs them (worn-out) :mrgreen:

The rolls are long enough for about one side, so for each bike, get two (they're sold individually). You can also do fun stuff like "harlequin" wrap with these.

Here's me practicing on a broom handle: https://goo.gl/photos/SKpxxMgtbJZYswbz7
duck wrote: You could've just linked them and saved neko some drive space.

Oh, duck :(
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
And here it is, in the wild
Nice! Is that a fixie (single speed)?

I'd like to build a carbon fiber frame mountain bike for my Urban Detroit riding. Our roads are very rough here.

Would like a hardtail (no rear suspension), with a suspension / shock absorber fork in front. I found some very cheap carbon fiber frames on eBay that would work well. I have seen reviews of these cheap carbon frames, and they seem very strong and well made. I'd spend $300-$400 USD for one of these frames. I won't be jumping from large heights, so one of these frames should hold up nicely. Unfortunately, I have more important financial obligations at this time.

I like your bike....looks good!

-Aaron
zagnut wrote: Nice! Is that a fixie (single speed)?

Yep, fixed. I kinda got bit by the bug and tried it with my pink Fuji Feather and liked it a lot so this one became fixed too.

zagnut wrote: I'd like to build a carbon fiber frame mountain bike for my Urban Detroit riding. Our roads are very rough here.

Would like a hardtail (no rear suspension), with a suspension / shock absorber fork in front. I found some very cheap carbon fiber frames on eBay that would work well. I have seen reviews of these cheap carbon frames, and they seem very strong and well made. I'd spend $300-$400 USD for one of these frames. I won't be jumping from large heights, so one of these frames should hold up nicely. Unfortunately, I have more important financial obligations at this time.

I like your bike....looks good!

Thanks a lot!

The large tires on this one (32mm) is a pretty direct response to the deteriorated state of the finnish road network, with no money for repairs in sight. It's much better than the 23mm on the fuji... I can ride on gravel! :-)

As for carbon fiber, I don't know if I'd trust it yet... But I haven't ridden any anyway, so I can't judge. The price seems on par with good steel frames though. Do you have a link to the ebay frame? I won't bid, promise :-)

The first bike I built was in fact a hardtail mountain bike. It was fun to ride, but steel frame, and heavy Marzocchi fork made it unwieldy at 20kg... It's been rotting on my balcony for many a year now. Sad, but for a long while I didn't have the money to keep it in repair (expensive parts... Mavic rims, Hope hubs & headset & 4-piston hydraulic brakes, RaceFace bars & stem & x-type cranks, SRAM X.9 derailleur & shifter. All in red/black. Quite silly, in fact.) Might be fun to refurbish it and sell it.
GREAT! Alas, for my long-distance trips [Ireland, Scotland, France, New Zealand and, of course, Austria] I certainly prefer more sturdy bikes where I can fix low-riders etc. Wouldn't want to make such trips with a bike like yours :-)
If man would have been created out of the rib of a woman - how different would the world be?
Yup, this is definitely NOT a touring bike... There aren't any braze-on at all on the fork so I'll have to invent something to hook up the planned porteur rack on the wheel axis. I know there are P-clips and the like that hang onto the fork legs, but that's just so ugly and I suspect quite weak too.