Everything Else

password-protected downloads/hosting

rockers,

a very good friend is having an exhibition soon, part of the gig is a bonus track. she wants to distribute it via a (somehow unique) password that will be printed on the invitation (paper).

the password+link should expire after the download link is provided or after the download is complete (one off). think of it as a special treat for attendees only.

googling around i see hosts like mediafire/megaupload etc but no way to issue say 1k of passwords (to be printed on the invitation) beforehand in order to control the downloads.

who should i talk to? does this come with its own jargon term? how should i ask/search for it?
the term you are looking for is "download codes". they are commonly included in releases of independent music. there are a lot of providers, but just a few minutes rifling through my record collection turned up little 3cmx5cm sheets with two providers: bandcamp.com and posterdisc.com. there are various terms of service and quantity rates that you should be aware of. posterdisc.com provides 1000 codes for $100, which is either cheap or really expensive depending on how you look at data hosting costs.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
you're the man now robespierre

looking around some more i’ve found cardincluded . she doesn’t want a separate card/sticker/piece of paper and they’re the only ones that host and provide the codes on a .csv file (she can have the whole sea of codes printed on the invitation). we’re a wild bunch and want to design, cut & sew everything on our own. after a couple of emails back+forth, they sound like nice guys and this is what i’ll suggest to her.

thank you :)