Everything Else

Vibrations danger - physics model help

Hi all,

I am trying to find out, how dangerous are the vibrations forces to the SGI machine. :-)
Maybe am I just too paranoic :-) but a real life example:
a wooden table (chipboard, not massive wood)
an SGI machine on the table (offline - switched off)
then boring (drilling) several (4) holes to the side of table with a small drilling machine

Please, can someone say, if can the drilling into the table destroy/harm the offline machine put on the table?
How strong are the forces/vibrations created by drilling the holes into tables side and how does it spread/absorb trought the table - is it comparable to, lets say, dropping the machine from some height?

Thanks a lot for help (or your opinion) :-)
If the table is chipboard then surely the machine is light enough to take it off while you're working? Usually the manufacturer supplies g-ratings for shock, but I think they're only for operating conditions. After that you have to get a physicist and a mathematician and a materials engineer and a machinist to answer your question.

I would be more concerned about the wood chips and dust then I would about drilling, with the machine turned off. Or, if the machine is heavy and the table is not very strong, you should worry about vibrations from the machine itself while it is running, or the machine breaking the table. So many issues, so little time! :lol:

I have to check my calendar to see if today is April 1st ;-)

I also find that the vibrations coming from the machine alone (when its on:-)) are quite noticable and strong, so probably its quite vibration-resistant and nothing was broken by drilling few holes into table and no reason to worry. :-) I was just asking because I read everywhere how dangerous the vibrations are for computers/electronics.