Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

sATA hard drives for RAID rack

I have to buy 4 sATA hard drives, they have to be used within a RAID rack, which vendor and model do you suggest ?
the rack accepts is sATA2 and only hardrives under 1Tera, I was thinking to buy things sized like 250,320,500 Gbyte

thank you in advance :D
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
hitachi 15k600?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
thank you :D

If you had to choose between Hitachi and Seagate , whom would you choose and why?

here I am going to experiment with Soho/SR5 (rack version, job purpose), attached to IP30 over a dual VHDCI-HD68 (LVD) Cables

Code: Select all

------------
QL12160                   _______
scsi wide lvd          |   HD0 |
+---------ch1 -------|   HD1 |
+---------ch2 -------|   HD2 |
|   HD3 |
|_______|
Octane                  Soho/SR5

it is a big box and it needs a fine setup and I have to buy qty=4 sATA hard drives
then the RaidBox will handle them as "logical volumes"

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Bus  SCSI ID  LUN   UDV name
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
|   1        1    0     udvmy1, HD0,HD1, mirroring
|   2        1    0     udvmy2, HD2,HD3, mirroring

and IP30 will see something like this :D

Integral SCSI controller 2: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 2
Integral SCSI controller 3: Version QL12160, low voltage differential
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 3

good lectures from this && this doc :D

The Soho/SR5 RAIDBox also provides S.A.F.T.E. (mine is disabled)
which stands for S CSI A ccessed F ault- T olerant E nclosure (abbreviated SAF-TE )
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
There seem to be many stories of Seagates having short life expectancy, although "the plural of anecdote is not data".
I don't run many drives in service, so I don't know which is more reliable: but both modern Seagate and Hitachi drives are quiet and cool.
I did have an unusual experience with one Hitachi 7200rpm disk:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16729231&p=7375242
It still does the same thing and has not failed so far. I definitely wouldn't want to use this in a RAID array, but my hunch is that it is a drive configuration problem.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: