Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Help me out with triple boot please.

I've triple booted WinXP, Win7 and linux before. But Im struggling here....

I have a new box with a single hdd. I want to install OSX, Win7 and Linux fir a triple boot. So far, it seems I install 7 first, then OSX, then Linux. Is this correct? I cant seem to get OSX to boot off the USB though.

This is on an Intel PC, not a Mac.

Thanks
Aaron
For the life of me, I cant get Lion to mount in Virtualbox. Even after extracting the dmg from within the Lion dmg, I cant get it to mount as a bootable drive. I'm going to try my copy of Snow Leopard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
There is a built-in tool to write an install disk inside of the OSX install.app from the app store, I think going all the way back to 10.7. 10.9 and 10.10 definitely have it.

Maybe worth a shot?
Thinkpad x220 Slack + DWM

Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
There's a bootmaker utility as well. http://diskmakerx.com/
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Thanks guys

I got Lion to run under VirtualBox successfully. Im currently attempting to get a bootable USB of Lion running.

I guess my real question is, what should be installed after Win7...OSX or Linux? I've triple booted before, but that was Win2k, XP, and Ubuntu.

UEFI is not available if thats of relevance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
zagnut wrote: I guess my real question is, what should be installed after Win7...OSX or Linux? I've triple booted before, but that was Win2k, XP, and Ubuntu.

I'd be inclined (no more than that, not being a user of OSX at all) to do Linux last, regardless of the other OSes being installed, on the premise that with Linux you'll install a bootloader and that's easier if the things it is going to load are already in place.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
ajw99uk wrote:
zagnut wrote: I guess my real question is, what should be installed after Win7...OSX or Linux? I've triple booted before, but that was Win2k, XP, and Ubuntu.

I'd be inclined (no more than that, not being a user of OSX at all) to do Linux last, regardless of the other OSes being installed, on the premise that with Linux you'll install a bootloader and that's easier if the things it is going to load are already in place.

Same here. Linux last, because anything else runs a good chance of screwing up the Linux bootloader, and then you're left trying to recover your Linux install. Getting a Linux bootloader to load another OS is typically far easier than getting another OS bootloader to load Linux.
nyef and aj, that was my conclusion as well, Linux last.

Status report!

I have OSX 10.7 (Lion) up and running on its own! Off an IDE drive too. Wireless is working as well. Not sure about sound, not worried about sound. Video is onboard Intel fir now.

But....the install nerfed Win7's boot....which I suspected it would. I should be able to remedy that with the Linux install though.

This would've been easier with each OS on it's own hdd, but I only had a a single, spare, IDE hdd. Besides, I wanted to see if it was possible to triple boot all 3, off a single drive. I haven't heard of anyone being successful in doing it this way.

Now on to Linux....wish me luck. :D
I got it! Triple boot success on a PC! Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.7 Lion, Linux Manjaro LXQT.

Here's the best part, any tutorials I've found on this, always say install OSX first, says OSX Lion shouldn't work on IDE HDD's, and require something like rEFInd boot manager, as well as repairing the Windows MBR.

Here's the break down
Installed Win7 first. Simple, nothing fancy.
Installed OSX next. This required running OSX in a virtual machine (VirtualBox in Win7) to create the bootable USB drive using MyHack and InstallESD.DMG extracted from OSX 10.7 image file. After bootable USB creation, installed OSX 10.7
Then, installed Linux Manjaro LXQT on extended partition. Setup extended partition as 2 logical partitions, one for /root, the other for swap. Installed GRUB to /root partition.

I did all partitioning and formatting in the OS I was installing. Ex: In Win7, 2 partitions...main OS, and small System partition Win7 sets up. In OSX, Setup partition, formatted. In Manjaro, partitioned as explained above.

I boot into OSX Darwin, and choose OS from that.

I still have to install updates for all OS's yet. And I have a confliction within OSX. I must boot using -f flag for the time, or system hangs on loading. But even booting -f/bypassing system cache/kexts, the system runs to my likings. All I need is video in OSX, but will try to narrow down conflicting issues and get everything running top notch. Vid resolution if fine, I have wireless networ, not sure if sound works though. I would like better video resolution though. I believe its 1280x1024, but I can't change it.
Hey guys, and any gals if any here. Been pretty busy the past few days.

I decided this week to upgrade Win 7 to 10 on this box. I was sure that the upgrade would nerf either grub or Chameleon bootloaders, requiring me to reinstall OSX, Linux, or both. But to my surprise, all went well and no bootloader problems, despite having to mark the Win System Reserved partition as active. Weee! Boot on!

Still need to modify the above Chameleon boot menu, just haven't had time.

So far I haven't had a chance to play around with Win10, but contrary to what I've heard, it doesn't seem that much faster than 7. Either way, it was free. This box was specifically setup as a test machine for this exact purpose, as well as trying out OSX and some Linux stuff.

-Aaron