Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Pentium Pro VRM modules

I found a VERY nice supermicro P6DNF dual Pentium pro motherboard which after some searching I found two 200mhz P Pros to fit on it.
Attachment:
P8012882.JPG
P8012882.JPG [ 439.37 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

The thing also looks to be a full-size AT board. I have never seen that before.
Unfortunately I only received one VRM module for it. I had a Pentium Pro board before this which also needed a VRM module but this one is vastly different.

Here's the one that came with the board...
Attachment:
P8012883.JPG
P8012883.JPG [ 434.89 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

...and here is the VRM from my last Pentium Pro motherboard.
Attachment:
P8012884.JPG
P8012884.JPG [ 412.96 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

If I search for the P6VRM-1 I get two hits on ebay but both modules are $100 and I don't keep high hopes for the ones I see on google either.
I'm assuming you can't really mix and match Pentium Pro VRM modules, correct?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
VRM modules should comply with the standard Intel specs so technically it should not matter, but I wouldn't risk it. Have two of the same type.
That being said there are some more beefier than others that may have been used on 1MB cache PPro's.
You may want to buy two brand new VXI ones to have a matched pair. Here's a guy selling brand new ones for $3.00 (+$7 shipping):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0286039817

I did find a thread out there relating to using different amperage VRM's for different PPro models, check it out:
http://www.motherboardpoint.com/pentium ... 52000.html

Good luck with your new toy (hope the CPU's don't get fried!)
Alex
Thanks for the link abut I would still prefer not cooking something.
Regardless, the VXI VRMs look very different. There must be something different.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I don't blame you one bit for being cautious.
pentium: it's the amperage capacity of the VRM. I've mixed and matched on a dual Xeon board before and everything lived. The big difference I see between the Supermicro and VXI ones is the VXI has a couple of huge honking transistors on it for whatever reason. I'd start out by finding if that board supports reference Intel VRMs, and if so, what rev it wants, and then finding a pair of VXIs that match the specs.

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Some quick searching indicates one may be 5v input, and one may be 12v. Find out the output voltage of the board, and the input voltage of your CPUs, then match up some VRMs.

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Hello, I have a customer with the same Supermicro P6DNF board and am wondering if anyone has figured out if it uses the standard Intel VRM 8.1/8.2/8.3 Pentium Pro VRM spec.... I found that from the processorfinder.intel.com website the SL25A Pentium Pro 200 1MB cache CPU draws a maximum 14.24A of power @ 3.3V so the Intel 8.1VRM series should be able to handle it as it can handle a max of 14.5A of power, but there would have to be a lot of data crunching to get that maximum load. Does anyone know if the original "Super P6VRM-1, P/N VRM-002" part itself can handle 14.5A of current draw? Thanks