IRIX and Software

Illustrator 5.5 EPS file conversion from newer versions

Is there an 'irix' way to convert newer EPS files (from modern versions of Illustrator) to something that Illustrator 5.5 for IRIX can open?

I tried ImageMagick's convert on the command line but no luck with Illustrator opening the resulting files. I didnt seem to find any argument/option to specify a version compat.

At the moment, I am able to use a modern Illustrator and save to EPS with version compatibility for Illustrator 3 EPS. I would like to remove the modern version of Illustrator (and its Windows/Mac platform) from the equation. I also tried converting to various formats (EPS, PDF) with Inkscape but no luck opening with Illustrator 5.5.

Thanks
Recent versions (like, the last 15 years) of Illustrator no longer use Postscript document format, they have some XML crap. You need to Export as an Illustrator 5 or 6 file from the new version.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Also, it's worth saying that EPS is mainly used for embedding logos and things, not as a format that allows editing. You can sometimes open EPS and edit it, but it doesn't always work. Originally it had no layers groups etc. Not totally sure if that was changed in later versions.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: