IRIX and Software

differences between IP32 binaries & IP28 binaries

help me to understand what is arch-specific
going to leave, have a nice day, hope to see you again soon!
There is nothing arch specific about generic IRIX MIPS-binaries , but it is possible that some binaries depend on specific hardware components, like an EISA bus on the R10K Indigo2 (IP28) or VPro graphics on the Octane (IP30) or the VICE multimedia chip in the O2 (IP32).
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Something does the difference as I got a strange errors moving things (1) from IP32 to IP28.

(1) things proved to be working on IP32 do not work not on IP28, this, even if I did a copy preserving file's properties.
(
machine1 : tar -cf app.tar patch, scp app.tar machine2_IP:
machine2 : tar -xf app.tar
)

sorry, I do not have these machines on hand now, I am almost 250Km far from them now
so reporting (again) all the error-messages I got will take time (and I am not sure if I am allowed to post them here)
IP28 supports a 64-bit kernel, IP32 does not.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Graphics hardware can make a difference, for example Adobe Premier on IP 30 works fine with SI, SSI and MXI but with VPRO it hangs permanently at launch, before even putting up it's splash screen.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Adobe Premier

yes, it happened to a friend of mine because he inserted the hard drive in the wrong octane machine. He owns two machine, one is equipped with VPRO, the other with MGRAS, he wanted to clean both of them, so he removed the hard drives, and a long "oppppsssss" followed when he switched on :D

I wonder about things made by Alias Wavefront, e.g. StudioSurface.
Alias/Wavefront used to have extensive hardware qualification lists for what their binaries required, they assiduously wanted to avoid people buying their admittedly super expensive software only to find it wouldn't run on their hardware... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
What i forgot to say is that there can also be some implicit target platform optimization performed by MIPSPro compilers. Like:

Code: Select all

-Ofast [ = ipxx]
Selects optimizations that maximize performance for the
given SGI target platform, ipxx.  These optimizations may
differ between releases of the compiler and among the
supported platforms.  They enable the full instruction set
of the target platform (for example, -mips4 for an
R10000).  Although the optimizations are generally safe,
they may affect floating point accuracy due to
rearrangement of computations (for examples, see the
-OPT:roundoff=3 and -OPT:div_split options in the opt(5)
man page).  Typical optimizations include -O3, -IPA,
-TARG:platform=ipxx, -n32, and
-OPT:Olimit=0:roundoff=3:div_split=ON:alias=typed.  See
the -TARG:platform=ipxx option for information about the
optional argument.

i haven't come across incompatibilities between machines using these specific options, as the man page states.

But even if the CPU is the same between platforms, there are differences in properties like cache misses: on the Indigo2 and O2 an R10000 support only one cache miss, but the Octane and Origin support up to 4 (Info from Ian's site).
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
OK, understood, thank you, guys :D
ivelegacy wrote: (1) things proved to be working on IP32 do not work not on IP28, this, even if I did a copy preserving file's properties.
(
machine1 : tar -cf app.tar patch, scp app.tar machine2_IP:
machine2 : tar -xf app.tar
)

You won't preserve all file properties if you don't use the `p' option when extracting,
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
ops, I had forget, I mean I had already used that option with no appreciable changes