IRIX and Software

Irix 6.5 refuses to start

Hi. I'm banging my head on the wall out of confusion and being agitated. I would ask on IRC, but this problem is rather "special" so I thought it'd be best on here. Some users may quickly know who I am if you're on the Nekochan IRC.

So, here's some background. I have four R5K o2's (ones broken). Last night, I was attempting to clone Irix 6.3 to a blank hard disk. This wound up working great, except for one thing: I was an idiot and accidentally overwrote numerous files in "/" (not too many, I was fairly quick to stop cpio from copying). I resumed the process where the drive was mounted, and all went well. I rebooted the o2 after this to make sure that the drive was still working. To my surprise, the drive with 6.5 still booted (somewhat like a 6.3/6.5 hybrid). The cloned drive with 6.3 also worked. Now we can remove that 6.3 clone from the equation... I have a goofed up 6.5 drive due to my stupidity (This happened at 5AM, so my fault for being extremely tired).

I then grabbed my SGI 6.5 installation CD's, and attempted to reinstall from scratch. My problem was the screen went black and the entire system went unresponsive... keyboard didn't work, mouse didn't, or the power button. I reset the unit with the pinhole, and I get dumped back to PROM. Out of frustration, I tried the installation process on a different o2, and Irix installed flawlessly (just 6.5 base). Now, I take the disk with a fresh copy of Irix 6.5 on it and put it in the o2 that was locking up and giving me a black screen. The disk refused to boot, and still gave me a black screen and went unresponsive. I'm confused since it booted fine on my other o2.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is very aggravating.

Thanks 8-)

What I did was I installed the .15 overlays on top of the base 6.5 installation, which was mentioned to me on the IRC. This solved the problem, and the system now boots flawless. Why SGI made it to where you can't boot an older install of Irix... I don't know. Seems silly to me. But it works. :)