IRIX and Software

Indigo2 r4k/250 + mips3/mips4 oopsie

Hi all, first post for a long time but I still visit to read frequently and fire up my SGIs whenever I get a chance (which is not as often as I'd like anymore, sadly).

However, having some time free over the bank holiday weekend I thought I'd reacquaint myself with good ol' Irix and update some of my stuff, particularly the Nekoware packages on the Octane and Indigo2. Somehow I forgot my Indigo2 wasn't a r10k and cheerfully slapped a load of standard mips4 goodies on it - feel free to laugh. doh!

Obviously, that didn't end well so I carefully removed all the offending items and stripped it back to a pretty basic 6.5.22 install before adding a small selection of essential mips3 programs. Probably unsurprisingly, the poor fellow isn't really behaving itself so well anymore - most stuff has been fixable but the show-stopper is neko_sshd, which I've reconfigured a couple of times now but is still borked.

Remote login attempts silently fail and trying to ssh to localhost just gets me "Bad Request Code". I've googled, grepped and searched here but am really thinking I've probably doomed myself to a fresh start and total reinstall (the Indigo2 was my 'learner machine' for years so to be fair, it was pretty messy anyway unlike my Octane, which is lovely and neat). That wouldn't be a terrible thing anyway, and I already have my stack of overlays to hand and ready to roll.

Any suggestions? Other than "haha you idiot!"