IRIX and Software

IRIX patches

Code: Select all

IRIX Patch 7235: IRIX ntp 4.1.1 patch                                                     08-Mar-2010    Green icon equals general availability
IRIX Patch 7234: named fix for IRIX 6.5.[28..30]                                          06-Nov-2009    Green icon equals general availability
IRIX Patch 7233: networking updates for 6.5.30                                            15-Oct-2009    Green icon equals general availability
IRIX Patch 7232: OpenSSH security patch                                                   03-Aug-2009    Green icon equals general availability
IRIX Patch 7229: 6.5.30 XFS Rollup #4                                                     06-May-2009    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7227: Rollup - kernel rollup for IRIX 6.5.30                                   12-Nov-2008    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7217: OpenSSL security patch                                                   09-Sep-2008    Green icon equals general availability
IRIX Patch 7221: Updates for autofsd                                                      08-Sep-2008    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7209: ls 4 Gb FC for 6.5.28, 6.5.29, and 6.5.30                                28-Feb-2008    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7208: IP35 PROM to fix fibre panics in tg_set_flow_ctrl()                      31-Jan-2008    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7207: TimeZone processing change and 2007 zonefiles update                     16-Jan-2008    Green icon equals general availability
IRIX Patch 7202: pthread library fixes for 6.5.30                                         07-Jan-2008    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7192: NFS fixes for 6.5.30                                                     29-Nov-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7185: Parallel XFS Repair for 6.5.29 and 6.5.30                                25-Oct-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7188: MIPSpro 7.4.4m C/C++ Front-end #1                                        02-Oct-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7187: tpisockets fixes for 6.5.30                                              10-Sep-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7173: fix ha_macconfig2 to send gratuitous arp                                 10-Jul-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7177: patch to 6.5.30 var/sysgen/system/irix.sm                                03-Jul-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7174: IRIX system command fixes                                                15-May-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7146: XFS Project Quota Userspace Fixes                                        02-May-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7155: KONA 6.5.30m libGL: pixmaps become corrupted with multi-threaded access. 18-Apr-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7162: Xsgi: xterm program hanging when it receives ^E                          02-Apr-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7149: System Controller Firmware/Software Updates for IRIX 6.5.24 - 6.5.30     30-Jan-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7147: XVM update for IRIX 6.5.30                                               23-Jan-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7144: xfsdump rollup for 6.5.30                                                11-Jan-2007    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7141: Fix frs frame boundary performance issue                                 06-Dec-2006    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7128: IRIX NAS Manager 3.1 patch for filesystem grow                           25-Oct-2006    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7114: Customer (Online) Diagnostic Patch for IRIX 6.5.15 through 6.5.30        10-Oct-2006    Requires Support Program to Access
IRIX Patch 7111: ESP eventmond core fix                                                   28-Sep-2006    Requires Support Program to Access

Really, SGI? Why would you require that I pay for a support contract to get access to patches as menial as "pthread library fixes for 6.5.30"?

How ridiculous is that? And I bet they don't allow you to redistribute patches, either.
My computers (incomplete)
Nekochan has hosted patches that SGI had previously made available then removed, I'm thinking specifically of a roll-up for 32bit 6.5.22m with XFS fix.
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
mattst88 wrote:
Really, SGI? Why would you require that I pay for a support contract to get access to patches as menial as "pthread library fixes for 6.5.30"?

How ridiculous is that? And I bet they don't allow you to redistribute patches, either.

SGI's policy (in the recent past) has been that security patches are general availability but other patches require a support contract. This helps them pay for having the team writing the patches, and encourages people who need the patches to get a support contract.

The irritating part is that SGI doesn't just come out and say that, instead we've had a mix of publicized decisions ("the N-3 release of IRIX will be available without a support contract") and unpublicized changes, and they're not alone. Have they publicly acknowledged the death of IRIX yet?

Oracle's doing it too - why do companies feel it is necessary to slink around? When you make a decision, come out with it!
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
You can't really think that companies are going to think it's worthwhile to pay for a support contract that gets them access to trivial and sporadic patches for an operating system that is no longer being developed.
My computers (incomplete)
mattst88 wrote: You can't really think that companies are going to think it's worthwhile to pay for a support contract that gets them access to trivial and sporadic patches for an operating system that is no longer being developed.
Actually, yes. It happens all the time.
josehill wrote:
mattst88 wrote: You can't really think that companies are going to think it's worthwhile to pay for a support contract that gets them access to trivial and sporadic patches for an operating system that is no longer being developed.
Actually, yes. It happens all the time.

There are probably two sides to that pthread patch. A company paying for support probably ran into a problem with the IRIX pthreads library and a piece of their software. Since they had support, they called up SGI and said "we have a problem with your software, can you please fix it", and SGI had their programmers fix it. Oscar45 has or until recently had a SGI support contract, and he's said numerous times that they were generally very helpful in fixing what needed to be fixed. That comes at a cost, which SGI recoups through support contracts and limited patch releases.

Keep in mind that things are much better than the early '90s, when you got what you bought, and any patch access required a support contract. For the most part, SGI and other companies make the important patches (security and major functionality issues) available to everyone now.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
by porter:
Nekochan has hosted patches that SGI had previously made available then removed, I'm thinking specifically of a roll-up for 32bit 6.5.22m with XFS fix.

Do we still have these patches available for download ?

Cheers, Xiri
:Indy: :Indigo2: :O2: :O2+: :320: :Octane: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x02L: :A3502L: