IRIX and Software

Streaming video from IRIX

I would like to stream an MPEG4 file for people to view on the WWW. Is there a way of doing so from my Fuel? I have searched the forums and Web with little luck.
nekobean wrote: I would like to stream an MPEG4 file for people to view on the WWW. Is there a way of doing so from my Fuel? I have searched the forums and Web with little luck.

Your best bet would probably be Darwin Streaming Server. I see that the build and install script have references to Irix, but the build fails (I don't think anyone attempted to build it on irix for a very long time).
It shouldn't be too difficult to make a current patch for it anyway.
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:
bplaa.yai wrote:
nekobean wrote: I would like to stream an MPEG4 file for people to view on the WWW. Is there a way of doing so from my Fuel? I have searched the forums and Web with little luck.

Your best bet would probably be Darwin Streaming Server. I see that the build and install script have references to Irix, but the build fails (I don't think anyone attempted to build it on irix for a very long time).
It shouldn't be too difficult to make a current patch for it anyway.

Being completely new to such things, I did not really know where to begin. I searched for Darwin, and came up with this announcement. I could not fin it on nekoware, though.
:Fuel: 500MHz 2GB V12
nekobean wrote: I could not fin it on nekoware, though.

It predates Nekoware. As the article you linked mentioned, it's in nvukovlj's contrib folder on FTP:

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/co ... 437.tar.gz
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I normally send video using Icecast2 with Ogg/Theora video and VideoLAN. I can use a playlist or screen device as a source. But I'm not sure how well libogg, libtheora, vlc, and icecast2 on IRIX is these days. I understand you may have a limit and need MPEG4, but for other uses, it's almost invaluable how efficient the setup is.
I indeed worked on a port of DSS a few years back. I haven't unfortunately had time to keep it going especially since while some of my patches were accepted, others (to make it play nice with MipsPro) weren't which meant that I would have to re-integrate these every time.
Work, life, etc. got in the way.

As neko mentioned, there is still an old version in my contrib folder.

Nik.
Thank you, all, for your pointers. I will play with it.
:Fuel: 500MHz 2GB V12