IRIX and Software

Does not exist

Okay, this is seriously getting my goat (and I have no way to move my goat at this time...), so maybe someone has seen this:

I select a file, right-click, Remove, and get "<file> does not exist"...

What the heck?... I have set several users with different permissions to test, and they all say the same thing (EVEN ROOT...) None of them work!

I don't know what information would be needed, but all I know is that I have permissions set up, even 777 gives this error. Manual deletion through the terminal is fine, but the silly desktop won't work.

Anyone know what could be wrong? It's probably a n00b question too... >_<

Not to mention the fact I have no compiler that works... *growl*
ManInScaryMask wrote: Not to mention the fact I have no compiler that works... *growl*

I use gcc 3.4.3 from "The Written Word".

Works very well indeed as they fixed their N32 ABI problem (structs as parameters).
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
only problem being that i have about a trillion linker errors...
If code requires or assumes MIPSpro then you have a bit of work to do.

What sort of project and linker errors?
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
return 0;
}

Doesn't work. I consider that fairly... Important... ;) Otherwise, how would I actually *compile* anything? I don't have the CDs, because I didn't have the money to buy them when I bought my machine... Otherwise, I'm screwed, and have to buy an Octane for cheap just to get the CDs, THEN I'm left with yet another box in the closet...
ManInScaryMask wrote: Doesn't work. I consider that fairly... Important... ;)

You could start with the basics....

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc,char **argv)
{
printf("Hello World\n");
return 0;
}
BTW, I use both a R4600 Indy and an R4400 Indigo2.
My example gives me well towards a million linker errors. Yours only says that I don't have "getopt.h" and stops.

I'm downloading the 3.4.6 tardist, but it seems like I already had that one installed on there... That file doesn't seem to exist, so I'm wondering what the heck is actually going on...

I REALLY don't want to put my Octane back in the closet... I bought him for a reason... >_>
Have you installed the "IRIX Development Libraries" and the "IRIX Development Foundation" (IDL and IDF)?
like i said, i can't, because i don't have the CDs...

i bought my octane from a colorado reseller, and didn't have the extra money to buy the CDs at system-purchase...
ManInScaryMask wrote: like i said, i can't, because i don't have the CDs...

A fatal position to be in. I don't run any system that I can't rebuild from scratch.

Also, you have no idea what is lurking in your installation if you have not started from a clean build.
More importantly, without IDL and IDF you will not be able to compile anything on your Octane.
Is the lack of IDL and IDF only applicable to the compiler problem or a possible solution for the inability to move/delete files as well? I've had the same issue with my Octane telling me that my files don't exist, and this is on a fresh install. Frustrating to say the least.
Is it possible to be having an issue with fam?

I recall a long long time ago when I used DHCP that fam (or something along with fam) would get screwed up everytime I manually requested a new IP (by typing "proclaim" as root IIRC). When this happened the desktop became plretty useless and I had to logout and back in to get everything working correctly.

Not that this reflects your issue, but I figured it was worth a mention.