SGI: Discussion

Issues setting up L2 emulator from the L3 package

I've been trying and failing to set this up for the last few hours - I finally got a VM of Fedora Core 1 with the L3 packages installed ( only distro I could find that had the proper kernel version ) and I can't get the USB to passthrough to the VM, tried both a FreeBSD and a Windows host - no dice, I can't get the USB device attached long enough to assign it to the VM under VirtualBox.

Is there something I have to do? None of my x86 hardware is old enough to boot a 2.4 kernel distro properly...
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
Note that I always disable SElinux so that it doesn't screw up all manner of things on me in non-obvious ways...

In late 2010, I built a VM using VMware Fusion on a MacBook, and installed Fedora 9/i386. Post-install (but pre-L3 installation) the kernel was updated to 2.6.27-25-78.2.56 - not sure if that would happen today, or what kernel version it started with. Sadly, I couldn't find a copy of the VM when I looked for it a few months ago.

When the Fedora 9 packages were all updated post-install, the mouse was screwed up. VMware KB artcile w/ fix here .

So, do you have an "sgil1" initscript in /etc/init.d, and does it load correctly? I have a fragment/note that says

Code: Select all

Invoke make: make SYSINCLUDES=-I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686/include

make should finish by installing an "sgil1" initscript as
/etc/init.d/sgil1, which is really /etc/rc.d/init.d on RedHat
flavors...
Will also report:

Loading SGI L1 USB driver                       [  OK  ]
Creating SGI L1 USB devices                     [  OK  ]

(You may see an error stating that the file "/dev/sgil1_cs" already
exists. Not a problem.)

The module has been loaded, but you can verify it was installed as:
/lib/modules/2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/usb/misc/sgil1.ko

# lsmod | grep sgi
sgil1                   18500  0
#

I moved the VM over to a Thinkpad T23 running Fedora 13 or 14 and VMware Player before actually running it (successfully) against a two brick O300.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
So you're saying I should use VMWare instead? Okay I'll try that next week - won't have time until then unfortunately
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
I got it to work under VMware - doesn't mean it can't be done under VirtualBox. In my case it was Fedora in side the VM and Fedora hosting the VM, when the L2 emulator was connected to the O300 via USB.

cf. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16719038&start=15#p7286984 and subsequent posts...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Hi,
I can confirm that it works well under CentOS 5.11 using VMware Workstation or VMware player.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x02L: :A3502L: :PrismDT:
xiri wrote: Hi,
I can confirm that it works well under CentOS 5.11 using VMware Workstation or VMware player.

Thanks xiri. Just to clarify - what's running in the VM, and what host OS did you use? And if you then connected the VM to the O300 via USB, any special steps required to allow the VM to access the USB port?
Right smj,

my post was kind of misleading. I am running vmware workstation on debian jessie as host with Centos5.11 running on one of the vm's inside.
I was using it with a usb-to-console cable in order to resolve a serial number problem. I'm pretty sure that I had to compile the driver before,
but then it worked instantly.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O3x02L: :A3502L: :PrismDT: