SGI: Discussion

SGI videos from the 90s

Just browsing the web this evening and I stumbled upon a site created to remember a British TV kids show from the mid 90s: "Bad Influence".
This was a video game show shown just after the kids got back from school. It focused on computer and console game reviews, but also had short features on things like CD-ROM, the Internet and Computer graphics.

There's many interesting episodes and snippets to download from the website, including a couple with SGI features:

http://www.bad-influence.co.uk/download212.htm - Creating graphics using an Onyx Reality Engine 2 (10mins in, with a Theme Park preview before it!)
http://www.bad-influence.co.uk/download305.htm - Silicon Graphics Report

Some of the vids are hosted on the site, whilst some are on Megaupload (ugh!). Anyway, I found it interesting watching these and other vids on the site - and I remember some of the episodes from when I watched them first time round :)
sincil writes:
> Just browsing the web this evening and I stumbled upon a site created to remember a British TV kids show from the
> mid 90s: "Bad Influence".

Blimey, I remember watching those. :D And talk about timing - I think it was only shortly after the 1st
article was aired that I was able to go and see an Onyx RE2 rack in action at Marconi Simulation in
Dunfermline (Scotland), where it was running a tank simulator, though they let me try the same demos
on it, projected onto an 8' screen, or shown on a superwide monitor. That was it, I was hooked. 8-)
It was one thing to watch the Performer Town demo on TV, quite another to see it live at high-res.
Hehe, now I have a mountain of SGIs and can barely move (oddly enough, one current project is to
upgrade an Onyx RE2 rack to IR, if it has the later backplane - don't know yet). Though you might be
shocked when I say I sold an Onyx RE2 deskside last week (quad-R10K/195, RE2 2RM4, 1GB RAM,
73GB disk); if you'd told me back in '93 that one day I'd be doing such a thing, I'd have probably fainted... 8|

Strange, watching the 1st article, I could still remember what the guy says even after all this time. Hmm,
I probably still have the VHS tape I recorded the same program on. Not sure if I ever taped the 2nd
article though.

> ... and I remember some of the episodes from when I watched them first time round :)

Wierd isn't it? :D

Ian.
(07/Mar/2015) FREE! (collection only) 16x Sagitta 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI JBOD units.
Email, phone or PM for details, or see my forum post .
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
It's on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z45nbzMLk98

Cut it right to the action btw
"(Jim) Clark's friends who did not know Ed McCracken came to believe that the man's name was Fucking Ed McCracken. Always the prankster, Clark also replaced the nameplate on his nemesis's door with one reading "Ed McMuffin," a change it took poor Ed three days to notice"-Salon
Former owner of :4D310:
Great video !!!
I like it very much. Crimson or Onyx RealityEngine was the dream machine.

Dont you know, what was the software there ??? The demos ??? Just IRIS PERFORMER?
vvostenak wrote: Great video !!!
I like it very much. Crimson or Onyx RealityEngine was the dream machine.

Dont you know, what was the software there ??? The demos ??? Just IRIS PERFORMER?

Yeah the stock buttonfly demos :|
"(Jim) Clark's friends who did not know Ed McCracken came to believe that the man's name was Fucking Ed McCracken. Always the prankster, Clark also replaced the nameplate on his nemesis's door with one reading "Ed McMuffin," a change it took poor Ed three days to notice"-Salon
Former owner of :4D310: