Hardware For Sale/Trade

Sun Enterprise 4500+3500+3500 for sale/trade

Hi there, the irons: Sun Enterprise 4500+3500+3500 are for sale/trade. Specs.: 2x400MHz USII??? cpu modules, at least 8, each with at least 2GBs of ram. at least 3 I/O board modules and at least one special graphics slot+2*SBus board module. FC transceivers, disks, fc cables, odd, optical gigabit sbus lan card could be added for extra cost and needs further agreement. Tested with solaris8 and with solaris10. 1 from 3 clock boards has empty battery, forgets always the boot device, but this "fault" is at a replaceable part.

More info on these monsters:
http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh- ... E4500.html
http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh- ... E3500.html

We also have some other untested ultrasparc beasts for bartering, especially an Ultra 450. Further details will be available later.

Bartering is possible, we are looking for any sort of _smaller_ and _lighter_ non-x86 irons, especially sgi, pdp and mac, both m68k and powerpc. For x86, they are not allowed here but the exceptions are vintage portables, ibm pc, ibm xt, ibm ps1, ibm ps2.

If we can get rid of these giants, further smaller, more friendly sparcs will be available for trading.

Thank you for your attention (and questions, corrections, offers, whatever)!
It seems to be unclear, but not from now: with our parts, you can build a 4500 config with up to 14 CPUs and 14GBs of ram! And you still have at least 2-2 CPUs for each 3500 and some GBs of ram for them. So at least one machine can be pretty well max'ed out! Also have 4 FC disks for them: 1 good (9GB, with installed sol10 on it for a 3500), one unclear stated (?GBs), two predictably bads (36GBs). We are also interested in selling them separately, order is NOT arbitrary: the 4500 or the uglier 3500 come first, and the more beautiful 3500 comes last.
I can send a photo from the 4500 in private if anyone is interested!
I'm sort of idly wondering how much it would cost to ship one of those to France...
Melkhior wrote: I'm sort of idly wondering how much it would cost to ship one of those to France...

Hi,

It depends on the delivery service that was chosen. There is a Hungarian summary of delivery services within EU somewhere, I'll look after for it. But feel free to spam me in private or here with urls containing corresponding content on sending huge amount of packages between EU countries.
I only collect workstation-form factor Suns because shipping & handling are too much of a hassle for big iron :-( (well, I have a 4/330GX but that's technically a workstation, they called it a SPARCstation 330GX ultimately :-) ).

Even the smaller 4500 is pretty heavy - Sun claims 68 kg (72 kg shipping), but I assume that's a base model w/o all the trimmings (extra CPU boards & IO boards & ...).
Melkhior wrote: I only collect workstation-form factor Suns because shipping & handling are too much of a hassle for big iron :-( (well, I have a 4/330GX but that's technically a workstation, they called it a SPARCstation 330GX ultimately :-) ).

Sadly hear that ;)

Melkhior wrote: Even the smaller 4500 is pretty heavy - Sun claims 68 kg (72 kg shipping), but I assume that's a base model w/o all the trimmings (extra CPU boards & IO boards & ...).

It is probably over 90kgs, because of the redundant PSUs included, and the CPU modules. It is heavier than a 3500 even if it is empty(!) So do not trust in shrubberry, compare this:
http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh- ... /spec.html
with this:
http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh- ... /spec.html
Attached san storage is not necessary, they can boot from scsi internal hdd, which fits into the place reserved for the tape unit.
Can anybody help determining the cost of these suns? Don't know their price.
:O200: :O200: +many more risc, x86, m68k, 8bit, vax
If they are fully loaded (10+ CPUs and 10+GB).. I would imagine they could sell to a hobbyist for 200-400$ each. The problem is finding someone who is looking for one. I have 8 or 9 too many e4500's ;) leftovers from a hosting business I did years back. They are designed to run forever with plenty of mainframe style RAS features . The fact that you can remove faulted CPUs and Memory while the system is running is still a cool feature to this day.
necron2600 wrote: If they are fully loaded (10+ CPUs and 10+GB).. I would imagine they could sell to a hobbyist for 200-400$ each.

done
necron2600 wrote: I have 8 or 9 too many e4500's ;) leftovers from a hosting business I did years back.

YIKES! :shock:

Is it a possible valuable goal to run on these beasts a Solaris container/zone VPS farm? The resources seem to be satisfactory, except the cpu speeds :?
As long as you are ok with the heat generated and electricity consumed to run them... Solaris 10 (with zones, zfs, etc..) runs well on them. You can throw any amount of processes (or processes in zones) at them with no real slowdown. 8-10+ CPUs which individual Cache ram (some CPUs have 8MB cache which back in early 2000's was a rarity on commodity PC hardware), and lots of RAM make E4500's work well even today. Real workhorses. Should get a more stable and reliable system than most newer PC-styled hardware.

As much as I would love to run my E4500s 24/7 these days, the electricity cost is a factor. A SUN T1000 now runs my daily Solaris SPARC needs instead (but an irrirating HIGH pitched fast fan noise comes out of them). An ebay search has SUN T1000's at 50$/each. Electricity usage is very very low on a SUN T1000.. but you get 1 power supply, 1 CPU (8+ Cores though), and 1 motherboard.. all of which will fail one day and do not have the E4500 ability to mark them failed and replace when you feel like it while the system is running without downtime.

-Kevin
necron2600 wrote: As long as you are ok with ...
-Kevin

Thank you for such information! _o_

Barter offers are still valid! (Preferabily in EU)
... those damn distances :evil:
I wonder where to get a pci board, in such case, the sunpci sbc could be tried with them! Without that, the ultra5 and the ultra10 work fine together with the sbc! (And also got original solaris 8 kit again, which is necessary to sunpci)