Hardware For Sale/Trade

Sony DTL-H2510 PlayStation Programmer Tool CD-ROM Drive

Ok.OK. Don't yell at me too badly for this but, I don't really know where else to post this as it is a strange, odd, and supposedly worth 300 euro CDROM drive from a Playstation 1 development system. I know Nekochan is one of the last holdouts for those that love the odd and strange so, here it is. Maybe there is some SGI to Playstation 1 development link I hadn't heard about. The site that does deal with this stuff directly ASSEMBLERGames won't let me post it there unless I've been a member for 3 months and I'm not doing eBay yet. That site claims they go for 300 euro all the time. We'll I am in California and Euros do little for me so, how about $200 with free shipping ? Uses an odd connector on the back. Whatever cable this usually comes with I don't have.

I apologize for interrupting your normally SGI related forum browsing. Please return to browsing ads for free Octanes located half way around the world from you now.

[/attachment]
I've never understood the crazy demand for people collecting devkits.

Sure there's enough software and hardware floating around now that you can mess about and possibly crank out an unofficial game or two but the money these people (not you) who already have like four PS2 TOOLs or multiple N64 devkits is nuts given how all they seem to do is lug them around and braaaaaag.
In related news, Assember reminds me of Amibay and BetaArchive. Sure it's a lot of knowledgeable people but man is the community an ego trip. As much as they might be a reliable source of info I warn you that there might be a touch of price biasing.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: I've never understood the crazy demand for people collecting devkits.

Sure there's enough software and hardware floating around now that you can mess about and possibly crank out an unofficial game or two but the money these people (not you) who already have like four PS2 TOOLs or multiple N64 devkits is nuts given how all they seem to do is lug them around and braaaaaag.
In related news, Assember reminds me of Amibay and BetaArchive. Sure it's a lot of knowledgeable people but man is the community an ego trip. As much as they might be a reliable source of info I warn you that there might be a touch of price biasing.

You are not wrong at all. Don't go near lifehacker or your brain may melt.
about programming tools

ivelegacy wrote: Image

to accomplish the task on your own, that's real fun, so, the above horror photo set was my approach to the PSOne: I have bypassed the BIOS, did code injection through a "lan attached device" which works like ethernet eprom emulator @ 3.3V (sorry, I can't find a photo, probably lost).

In the photos above I have removed the original BIOS chip (evil unsoldered), I have wired the whole pinout to a DIP socket @3.3V (there are no level translators), the eprom emulator's head directly fits the dip socket, I have also wired the original SONY BIOS to an adapter in order to dump its content (as you can see in the photo).

With the release of Yaroze (supported by a special edition of CodeWarrior ), people started to develop funny solutions like Caetla , which was a GameShark firmware replacement for the Playstation1 . My toy worked quite similar, the data flow was

Host lan ====== lan eprom emulator DIP ======= emulated PSOne BIOS ======== ROM mon ======= PSone ram

I have also added a serial line, used like a " debugger console ", the SONY CPU has a few signals wired on the PCB, although SONY decided not to use them and they are not wired to no connector, there are test points where you can see them: { TX, RX, CTS, RTS }.

Good old toy, too slow (from 115200bps to 1Mbps) for current devices (able to upload/download up to 200Mbps, using USB chips + fpga). BTW, I do not know the GPU and the CDROM controller (which has its own MPU) so well, I haven't developped no game, I have just played the fun with the CPU, that is a pure MIPS/R3000 little endian.

Then I switched to 68000, and actually I am back to MIPS again (MIPS32 SoC and fpga soft core). Life is crazy.

I played with it between the summer of 2005 and the winter of 2006, since then it has been abandoned somewhere in the lab (with the hope that Gaga hasn't already converted it into a door stop for ebay)

I did something similar with Nintendo GameBOY, recycling the eprom emulator, but I had to adapt it to 5V. I added a dual voltage buffer, so it's the target Vcc that provides the right voltage.

The GameBOY is a funny device, its CPU is custom but it looks similar to a z80. SDCC was a good tool. In the photo you can see a cartridge, I have attached a NVram over the DIP socket. My eprom emulator is volatile, it doesn't retain data when you unplug.
bye.