Hardware For Sale/Trade

FREE: 190x HP server sleds...

I bought a lot of SCSI disks recently; they came on HP server sleds which I don't need, anyone want them?
If not then into the trash they go. The sleds look like this:

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/1 ... 0x1000.jpg

They have the following part numbers in different locations:

- On the lever catch: 289241-001
- On the yellow alert label: 186037-001
- On the lower side of the base: 349469-5
- On the upper side of the base: 349471-003

Just cover the shipping! :)

Ian.
(07/Mar/2015) FREE! (collection only) 16x Sagitta 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI JBOD units.
Email, phone or PM for details, or see my forum post .
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
Ah, it's the 3.5" size.. if they were 2.5" I'd have jumped on the offer. Got enough (too many) of those already :-)

In the future wastes people will be bartering using HP drive sleds...
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I doubt it will attract much (if any) more interest, but FWIW that sled design originated in legacy Compaq storage systems. They were most common after the acquisition of DEC, but I believe their were a Compaq design even though they were often marketed under the StorageWorks brand post-acq. I believe you'll find them in late model Compaq x86 servers lke the DL360 G3, storage systems like the StorageWorks 4100 RAID array, as well as later Alpha-based servers like the DS20/ES40.

Ah trivia, when can I have those neurons back?
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
duck wrote: Ah, it's the 3.5" size.. if they were 2.5" I'd have jumped on the offer. Got enough (too many) of those already :-)

This guy on eBay has them for £9.99 with free shipping... not a give away but not terrible, unless you need 20 of them or something :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Tray-Cadd ... 2ed3bdff16

I actually have access to amounts of these drive sleds on dead disks (which the support company never want us to return) but I think it'd look a bit suspicious if I started stripping the caddies off!
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
Me better, free with just shipping to cover. :)

Ian.
(07/Mar/2015) FREE! (collection only) 16x Sagitta 12-bay dual-channel U160 SCSI JBOD units.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
Sorry Ian, didn't mean to thread crap - I mean that eBay guy had the 2.5" version of the sleds, not the 3.5" which you're you're kindly offering for free :)
:Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
I know, just couldn't resist a giggle. :D

Either way, I'll leave it for a bit, try a Freecycle too, but most likely they're out to trash, along with the
three industrial crates they came in (the latter also available for free + shipping; two smaller crates
fit insider a large unit, so just one shipping cost for all three, pics on request, or of course collect
in person if anyone's that close).

Btw, removing 760 screws from HP server sleds is REALLY BORING.

*cough* Sorry, felt the need to vent there a tad... :}

Ian.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
chicaneuk wrote:
duck wrote: Ah, it's the 3.5" size.. if they were 2.5" I'd have jumped on the offer. Got enough (too many) of those already :-)

This guy on eBay has them for £9.99 with free shipping... not a give away but not terrible, unless you need 20 of them or something :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Tray-Cadd ... 2ed3bdff16

I actually have access to amounts of these drive sleds on dead disks (which the support company never want us to return) but I think it'd look a bit suspicious if I started stripping the caddies off!

The ones I need are even cheaper, still not as cheap as free...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HP-2-5-SA ... 259c83216b

Are the G6/G8 ones interchangeable I wonder or did they shuffle things around just so you have to buy new ones.
This is all academic anyway, the DL160 that uses them is still overheating if I leave it on.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
mapesdhs wrote: Btw, removing 760 screws from HP server sleds is REALLY BORING.

*cough* Sorry, felt the need to vent there a tad... :}

I can emphasise. I removed nearly 50 HDDs from 3 AS400s recently at work and each of those was secured in place with EIGHT torq screws. Took ages to get them all out. Found a few nice 36GB 15K quiet drives in amongst that lot, but most of them were unfortunately poor/noisy drives.

No use for the HP sleds here I'm afraid, I've chucked a whole load recently from work - after salvaging any nice drives from them before they went to the scrapper of course!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
The grind continues with testing the drives, two torx screws to hold each disk in a Sagitta sled for two 12-bay JBODs (connected to a Fuel with
two QLA12160/66 cards), so four screw/unscrew events per disk overall; another 760 twiddlings to wade through, though now I have to do them manually with an Allen key as the torx bit I was using snapped for some reason. :\ Testing 24 disks at a time, next batch going through a full read/write/compare fx scan as I type... *yawn*

Ian.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796