SGI: Hardware

Amiga 3070, meet Indy. Wait! Don't do that! Bad Indy! Bad!

As mentioned in the Amix thread, I landed an Amiga 3000 and A3070 tape drive (who's your daddy, ahem).

To simplify my workstation, I got the bright idea of chaining the tape drive and the SCSI CD-ROM, since both systems should be able to use either device, and just switching off. The A3070 is SCSI ID 4 and the Apple 300i CD-ROM is ID 5, so I hooked them up, terminated the CD-ROM, and connected them to the Indy. In the PROM monitor, looks good:

Code:
>> hinv -p
:
:
:
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
SCSI Tape: scsi(0)tape(4)
SCSI CDROM: scsi(0)cdrom(5)
>> hinv -m
:
:
:
adapter SCSI WD33C93B key 0
controller disk SEAGATE ST31200N key 1
peripheral disk unit 0
controller tape CALIPER CP150 key 4
peripheral tape unit 0
controller CDROM SONY CD-ROM CDU-8003A key 5
peripheral disk unit 0

The A3070 is in fact a CP150 tape drive, so that's correct (it takes QIC150 cartridges), and the Apple is indeed a Sony mech.

Irix 6.5.10 appears to boot fine, so I log in as root and immediately the desktop fills up with these "refXX_to_cartridge" icons infinitely. Eventually I had to kill the power, turn off the tape streamer, reboot, let the drive fsck itself and clean all those icons off the desktop. CDROM works fine, with the tape on or off.

What gives?

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Multiple-host SCSI busses are only supported when all devices have a feature called "contingent allegiance." The tape drive is unlikely to.

Indeed; here's the relevant chapter at techpubs, sounds like it's racing at this point:

Code:
Flag Constant SRF_CONTINGENT_ALLEGIANCE_CLEAR indicates that the driver wishes to clear a contingent allegiance condition with the host adapter driver. After a host adapter driver has returned sense data to the device driver, all future requests are immediately returned with SC_ATTN until this flag is set.

World domination! Or something...
Sorry, I misread that you had connected both computers to the same SCSI chain.
It seems like the CP150 is not SCSI2 compliant (incorrect LUN handling).
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amiga ... /0000.html

Damn. Yup, that's exactly what Irix is doing. Oh well. At least the CD-ROM still works with the Indy and, after a little cussing, I got AmiCDROM to talk to the Apple CD-ROM, so the Amiga can use it too.

Well, thanks for the diagnosis, anyway. :)

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...