SGI: Hardware

Lyon Lamb IVAS Animation Controller?

Not my auction or anything, but I saw an interesting GIO32 card on eBay and I'm curious if anyone knows what it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Animation-Contr ... 1161744021

I'm trying to piece together what Lyon Lamb did and what this card interfaces with.

I believe that the MINIVAS, IVAS, ProVAS are all systems to allow single frame recording on to VTRs. When animators were animating by hand, they needed a quick way to view results. Lyon Lamb developed a system to use a video camera, one of their cameras, and a VTR. The animator would set of a single frame, tell the VAS unit to record a single frame and then the VAS would tell the VTR to record a single frame. Apparently there is some sort of non-standard frame coding as well.

"At Siggraph '86 in Dallas, Texas; Lyon Lamb Video Animation Systems, Inc. introduced tbe MINIVAS, a new animation controller product specifically designed for the PC graphics and animation market. The new MINIVAS animation controller interfaces directly to PC systems for automated single frame recording, frame grabbing, and VTR control, using either Lyon Lamb's proprietary Vertical Interval Frame Code or standard EBU time code. Frame numbers or EBU time code are displayed
on the MINIVAS front panel for the convenience of tbe computer graphics animator. Assuring field accurate recording,
editing, searching and frame-grabbing, the Lyon Lamb MINIVAS interfaces to Image Technology February 1987."

Another reference to the MINIVAS, http://www.iavsc.org/repository/avs5/so ... Anima.html

As to the IVAS, I find a reference in a patent which implies that the GIO32 card combines some control stuff with a frame grabber, then the image would/could be manipulated by Photoshop, then output

In the alternative "video camera" embodiment, the "TI-24A" is connected to the image processor by a coaxial-to-RS232 coupling, and in particular, to an external port of a "frame grabber" of a personal computer 26. This image processor utilizes an "INDIGO ELAN" model computer (available from Silicon Graphics, Inc. of Mountain View, Calif.), which is advantageous because of the computer's R4000 microprocessor and its advanced graphics capabilities. The "INDIGO ELAN" is configured with a "IVAS" frame grabber (also available from Lyon Lamb of Burbank, Calif.) that affords the computer 26 alternative access to the frame grabber, which simultaneously receives and processes the video signal from the video camera.
In the alternative "video camera" embodiment, the "IVAS" device is integrated into the "INDIGO ELAN" computer as a computer add-on board that has an external port, for allowing the frame grabber to directly communicate to devices which are peripheral to the computer. Thus, the video signal generated by the video camera may be directly fed into the frame grabber via this port, while the computer 26 simultaneously accesses and manipulates the video data as it is stored in the frame grabber's RAM.

--

Anyone have any experience with this stuff or know more?