SGI: Hardware

Octane 2 downgrade from V6 to SE or other?

Hi,

My Octane 2 has a V6 graphic and i suffer from the "frequency bug" because none of my TFT´s will display the "good" resolutions in 16bit Framebuffer...

Is it possible to simply downgrade the Octane 2 with a SI / SE or better MXI / MXE MBoard?

Maybe someone likes to swap Boards with me...

Greetings TOM:-)

Yes. It's possible and simple . You only have to reinstall IRIX (or possibly only X server/gfx drivers ?). Have you tried modes with low refresh rates, like 50 or even 40 Hz ? I think most LCDs can go very low with refresh rates (I tried 50 Hz on mine, no problems). That way you can keep pixelclock below buggy range and enjoy great image quality (there is no flickering on LCDs, no matter how low refresh rate is).

Thanks for your answer, i tried using a 1280x1024x50Hz vfo i found here in the forum, but my TFT´s simply do not display anything in this mode :-(

Do you have a working vfo?

astouffer wrote:
My V6 does 1280x1024x60Hz just fine.

Mine runs at 59Hz... or at least it used to run at 59Hz as it now runs headless .
Code:
mjw@DavidVilla ~$ /usr/gfx/gfxinfo
Graphics board 0 is "ODYSSEY" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
BUZZ version A.1
PB&J version 1
32MB memory
Banks: 2, CAS latency: 3
Monitor 0 type: Unknown
Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 59.00Hz (1280x1024_59)

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
scouter3d wrote:
Hi,

My Octane 2 has a V6 graphic and i suffer from the "frequency bug" because none of my TFT´s will display the "good" resolutions in 16bit Framebuffer...

Is it possible to simply downgrade the Octane 2 with a SI / SE or better MXI / MXE MBoard?

Note that it's BYTE not bit. ODYSSEY doesn't do 8-bit.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
scouter3d wrote:
Hi,

Note that it's BYTE not bit. ODYSSEY doesn't do 8-bit.

UPS! Seems to be my mistake but why are the GL Demos "dithered" in 8Byte and "smooth" in 16Byte Framebuffermode? So i thought the display changed to 8bit. In 8Byte should be enough room for at least 24bit color!?!

TOM:-)