SGI: Hardware

O2: 030-1327-002 vs 030-1227-00x

Functionally the only difference I've been able to tell is that the 030-1327-002 boards runs a specific medical application in an MRI machine that reconstructs the MRI image. The 030-1227-00x causes an error running this application. Actually the O2 communicates to a second computer through it's serial ports that was specially designed to reconstruct the MRI image from a saved file. So the rumor of the serial ports being somehow modified seems likely.

The problem I run into is since the 030-1327-002 boards are usually priced higher, some vendors relabel the 030-1227-00x as an 030-1327-002 and sell them for the higher price. I need to be able to identify a 030-1327-002 in a way that doesn't rely on labeling alone. Right now the only way I can tell the difference is by running the actual application. This takes a bit of time to setup - install the board, hook-up the MRI, boot and run the application.

Gray market is the only way to purchase these boards, and seems a significant number of relabeled 030-1227-00x boards in the market. A lot of vendors probably believe they are selling me the right board.

So I was just wonder if anybody happens to know of some other way of telling the difference between these two part numbers.

Thanks,
There is a Texas Instruments SuperIO chip in the O2 that controls the serial ports. Its mask revision is probably printed on the chip package, so it would be simple to see if there is a difference between various moosehead board revisions.
I found one site selling the 030-1327-002 as "CRIME1.4" which implies that the board has a different revision of the CRIME asic. This may not be true, as I have some docs which state that CRIME 1.5 was required for R10K processors, and all publicly released O2s support R10K. In any event, there is a revision register within the CRIME address space, and likely a revision register in the SuperIO chip as well, so a small program could be written to extract that information.

I really appreciate the help.