Nekochan Net

RSS Feeds

Just a quick note that I activated a couple new RSS feed options for the forum this morning, "Active Topics" and "New Topics". Hopefully they're useful to some.

All Rights Reserved.
Cool!

I've been doing more and more of my routine information grazing via RSS, rather than via mailing lists, forums, blogs, etc. I'll be interested to see if I can run through Nekochan.Net items more quickly this way. Thanks for adding the feature!

One suggestion: I've subscribed to a bunch of the feeds in order to figure out which stream is most useful to me. However, they all show up with the same name, "Nekochan Net," by default in my feed reader. Is it possible to make the feed title more descriptive, e.g. "Nekochan Net - New Topics?" Of course, I can customize how the feeds display once I subscribe to them, but it might be less confusing for some if the names are more explicit.

Thanks again -- really looking forward to trying this out! 8-)
josehill wrote:
One suggestion: I've subscribed to a bunch of the feeds in order to figure out which stream is most useful to me. However, they all show up with the same name, "Nekochan Net," by default in my feed reader. Is it possible to make the feed title more descriptive, e.g. "Nekochan Net - New Topics?)

The only ability I have is to activate specific feed types in the admin control panel; the names are assigned by the phpBB software. However, they do show up with different names in Safari as far as I can tell.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
The only ability I have is to activate specific feed types in the admin control panel; the names are assigned by the phpBB software. However, they do show up with different names in Safari as far as I can tell:

Yeah, I figured that it was probably a phpBB thing, and not something that was easily configurable. The full names are correctly displayed in the drop down subscription menu (in Safari and Firefox), but when you view the feed in Safari, you don't get any descriptive info besides "Nekochan Net." Likewise, when using Google Reader, you only see "Nekochan Net."

Well, I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Still, thanks again for enabling the feature!
josehill wrote:
but when you view the feed in Safari, you don't get any descriptive info besides "Nekochan Net."

Well it sort of does in a way; in your example it says "mode=forums" in the feed URL. This also changes to "mode=topics", "mode=topics_active", etc. depending on the selected feed. If you subscribe to one of the feeds in Apple Mail it's pretty easy to rename it to something more descriptive from there.

josehill wrote:
Well, I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Still, thanks again for enabling the feature!

Yeah, that's just how they implemented it. Hopefully it's still somewhat useful :)

All Rights Reserved.