IBM

OS/2 Warp and Thinkpad 390

Has anyone successfully installed Warp 4 or 4.52 on the Thinkpad series? I have a Thinkpad 390E and 390x. Both models run just about any operating system great (BSD,Linux,Windows) except for OS/2 :-x The 390E is a p2 300 and the 390X is a p3 450.

I have tried the updated boot disks from IBM but they freeze when the screen asking for disk 2 appears. I have Warp version 4.52 with a bootable CD, that freezes up over a driver. I've even installed OS/2 inside a virtual machine and copied that image onto the Thinkpad, it freezes up as well. What is the secret? :? You'd think an operating system written by IBM would run on hardware designed by them but noooo.
have you already tried OS/2 Warp v3 ?

in case let me know, my boss owns an IBM/T23, used as X11 terminal, so it's loaded with linux
he said they are going to replace with a new unit, so when it will happen I can try OS/2 Warp v3
have fun
ivelegacy wrote: have you already tried OS/2 Warp v3 ?

Ok here is how it went. After replacing all the old IBM drivers with the Dani versions it gives me an error "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk". I've used OS/2 in the past and was always impressed with it, but installation is a nightmare. Oh and I also tried the (sigh) eComStation demo and it freezes up while loading the floppy driver. Too bad they never added an interactive mode where you can confirm if you want certain drivers during the boot process.
I had to log back in (after a 5-year absence hehe) to say that I had Warp 4 working on the 390E without any trouble, but that was when I was regularly using it around 2001-2004. I do remember using the updated disks, updated the firmware to the latest (1.55) and using the original 3.2GB hard disk. You sure it isn't a hardware problem?
Sacrifist wrote: I had to log back in (after a 5-year absence hehe) to say that I had Warp 4 working on the 390E without any trouble, but that was when I was regularly using it around 2001-2004. I do remember using the updated disks, updated the firmware to the latest (1.55) and using the original 3.2GB hard disk. You sure it isn't a hardware problem?

Hmmm my hard drive is 20Gb. Maybe that is causing some problems? I don't know if the updated Dani drivers fixed the size limitation. The hardware seems solid. Right now XP is running on one laptop because its the only other device with a floppy drive. I swore I'd given up using floppies years ago ;)