IBM

PS/2 50z sighting

So I was doing a little light happy reading (the article title is "9 to 5 For Radicals: How to Survive Your Soul-Sucking Office Job" <- that's a link to TFA, BTW) and was amazed to see this picture illustrating the article, featuring nothing other than a mint IBM PS/2 System 50z, circa 1989):
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Gawd, those things infected my highschool days.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I've still got one, and, it still works! :)
Project:
Plan:
What makes you sure it's a 50z? I see nothing to distinguish it from a plain 50, or even a 70.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
kjaer wrote: What makes you sure it's a 50z? I see nothing to distinguish it from a plain 50, or even a 70.

Yep, it could be either of those, it's just that I actually own a 50z so that's what came to mind. I figured out the picture is a still from the 1997 movie "Clockwatchers," and the lovely young lass is none other than Toni Collette. Gotta admit I never saw it...
Project:
Plan:
I used to have one of those from a thrift-store in 2004; had a bunch of boring files on it from the state sherrif's office on it.
The hard-drive ( fixed disk ) died after a day but I was strangely able to run a floppy based distro of linux on it, although it gave me non-maskable-interrupt errors every few minutes.
surrealdeal wrote: I used to have one of those from a thrift-store in 2004; had a bunch of boring files on it from the state sherrif's office on it.
The hard-drive ( fixed disk ) died after a day but I was strangely able to run a floppy based distro of linux on it, although it gave me non-maskable-interrupt errors every few minutes.

Around 2001 I replaced the original fixed disk in mine with a Maxtor LXT-200S, which still works, there's one on ebay right now for $100, you should grab it! ;)
Project:
Plan: