HP/DEC/Compaq

AlphaNT

I purchased HP c8000 with 1 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM and 2 x 73 GB HDD for ridiculously low price, but after playing a bit with it, I realized it came with Nvidia GeForce 4 MX card, which of course isn't supported under HP-UX, so I was only able to run text console and the machine has been collecting dust since then. Proper FireGL cards are quite rare and relatively expensive, but it looks like regular Radeons (8xxx, 9xxx) might work too. That is what I deduct from pieces of information collected from the Internet. If I had such card at hand, I would just put it into the machine and see, but since I don't have any AGP Radeon, could anybody confirm if it works ? I don't care about 3D acceleration, just ability to run X will do. I would like to know, just before I spend that 10 Eur on it :D .

You can get Visualize-FX cards pretty cheap and they'll work in most 64-bit PCI capable 9ks.

HP-UX doesn't make much use of graphics anyway, and most of that is standard X calls, so a remote X-server is eminently possible on these boxes.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Clico Fantastico wrote:
I purchased HP c8000 with 1 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM and 2 x 73 GB HDD for ridiculously low price, but after playing a bit with it, I realized it came with Nvidia GeForce 4 MX card, which of course isn't supported under HP-UX, so I was only able to run text console and the machine has been collecting dust since then. Proper FireGL cards are quite rare and relatively expensive, but it looks like regular Radeons (8xxx, 9xxx) might work too. That is what I deduct from pieces of information collected from the Internet. If I had such card at hand, I would just put it into the machine and see, but since I don't have any AGP Radeon, could anybody confirm if it works ? I don't care about 3D acceleration, just ability to run X will do. I would like to know, just before I spend that 10 Eur on it :D .

Radeon 7000 and 7500 will work on IA64, so support is likely to be present in PA as well. Can't say I checked though. Other chips? Doubt it. Even the "old" radeon 7000 had to be a specific version before VMS accepted it, so chances are that UX requires a HP firmware bit as well.

But... AGP cards for PA (FireGL T2, X1, X3) aren't that hard to find. Mine both came with T2 standard, and I've seen X* pop up quite frequently as well.

It's better to use official options on c8000. Here's why:
Quote:
The FireGL X1 / 256 AGP pro card used in the C8000 is a standard ATI part, but has a special video BIOS that reduces the PCI BAR space used by the card. The C8000 I/O space totals 256Mb, so using it all for the graphics wouldn't allow for any boot devices, etc.

And there's the original discussion.