Sun

Sun Elite 3D-M6 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions

IRIX, as we all know, has the fairly flexible VFC. I was wondering, what about Solaris? I have an Elite 3D-M6 (UPA) graphics adapter, but it apparently only seems to support 4:3 resolutions. Most of my monitors are of the ‘wide’ variety (e.g. 16:9 and 16:10). Also on the internet I could find no trace of anything besides 4:3, or anyone trying to make it do anything beyond that.

It's not very important, merely out of curiosity. Else I'll keep on using it with the (4:3) 17" monitor I've been using with it, no problem whatsoever.

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
Hi,

no chance:
Quote:
Sun Elite3D graphics does not support the 1920 x 1200 mode of the Sun 24-inch monitor. Unlike
Creator3D graphics, the Sun Elite3D architecture does not allow the remapping of the 3D-RAM used for
double- and Z-buffering to support a high-resolution, single-buffered configuration due to Sun Elite3D
graphics’ interleaving of the memory. The maximum resolution is 1280 x 1024. Because Sun Elite3D
graphics is designed for high-performance 3-D, and an additional 30 MB of 3D-RAM would be required
for double- and z-buffering in order to use the 24-inch monitor, it is not cost effective to use Sun Elite3D
graphics as a high-resolution, single-buffered frame buffer when a less costly Creator3D frame buffer
would be more appropriate.

See also PDF .

The (designed,) maximum resolution for Elite3D mX graphic cards is 1280x1024 (4:3), sorry.
So you better searching/using a Creator3D Series 1/2/3
Thank you for the very detailed answer. That's an interesting limitation then.

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).