SGI: Development

Compiling mysql

I'm looking at updating my mysql installation, but keep running into obstacles. I'm investigating both 5.0.90 and the latest, 5.1.48, and each is presenting different problems.

For 5.0.90, I get a successful build using nekonoko's IP35-optimized 5.0.87 relnotes as a guide, but when I package and install it, I can't actually get it to do anything. Trying to log in to the mysql server or run mysqladmin gives me this:

Code:
io:~ ianj$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1135 (00000): Can't create a new thread (errno 1); if you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug

I'm wondering if it's not reading some configuration information or something, but I don't really know how to test that. Everything seems to be as it should, but the build just doesn't work when installed.

With 5.1.48, I get an unresolved text symbol error during the build process:

Code:
Making all in client
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/people/ianj/packages/build/mysql-5.1.48/client'
gmake  all-am
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/people/ianj/packages/build/mysql-5.1.48/client'
/bin/sh ../libtool --preserve-dup-deps --tag=CXX   --mode=link CC -DTHREAD -UMYSQL_CLIENT_NO_THREADS -O3 -mips4 -I/usr/nekoware/include -OPT:Olimit=0:roundoff=3 -TARG:platform=IP35:proc=r14000 -LANG:exceptions=ON -LANG:std=ON -LANG:libc_in_namespace_std=OFF   -D_BOOL  -L/usr/nekoware/lib -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/nekoware/lib  -o mysqltest mysqltest-mysqltest.o  -lpthread ../libmysql_r/libmysqlclient_r.la ../mysys/libmysys.a ../regex/libregex.a -lpthread -lnsl -lm  -L/usr/nekoware/lib/ -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/nekoware/lib -lz
CC -DTHREAD -UMYSQL_CLIENT_NO_THREADS -O3 -mips4 -I/usr/nekoware/include -OPT:Olimit=0:roundoff=3 -TARG:platform=IP35:proc=r14000 -LANG:exceptions=ON -LANG:std=ON -LANG:libc_in_namespace_std=OFF -D_BOOL -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/nekoware/lib -o .libs/mysqltest mysqltest-mysqltest.o  -L/usr/nekoware/lib -lpthread ../libmysql_r/.libs/libmysqlclient_r.so -lpthread -lpthread -lpthread -lpthread -L/usr/nekoware/lib/ ../mysys/libmysys.a ../regex/libregex.a -lpthread -lnsl -lm -lssl -lcrypto -lz  -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/nekoware/mysql5/lib/mysql
ld32: WARNING 84 : /usr/lib32/libpthread.so is not used for resolving any symbol.
ld32: ERROR   33 : Unresolved text symbol "bmove_upp" -- 1st referenced by ../regex/libregex.a(regcomp.o).
Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and dsos are loaded.
ld32: INFO    152: Output file removed because of error.
gmake[2]: *** [mysqltest] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/ianj/packages/build/mysql-5.1.48/client'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/ianj/packages/build/mysql-5.1.48/client'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

bmove_upp is defined in the m_string.h that comes with the source distribution, so I'm not sure why it can't make sense of it.

Has anyone been building mysql recently? It's the last remaining piece in my AMP stack that isn't up to date, so this is my highest-priority port right now, but I can't figure out what either version is up to.

I'm wondering if it's not reading some configuration information or something, but I don't really know how to test that. Everything seems to be as it should, but the build just doesn't work when installed.

That's probably due to not having CAP_SCHED_MGT permissions set on the binary as per the MySQL IRIX documentation:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/sgi-irix.html

chcap "CAP_SCHED_MGT+epi" /path/to/libexec/mysqld

You can set this up as a postop in your tardist which is how I handle it.

(Edit: Noticed that the IRIX section is still in the 5.0/5.1 docs and updated the link)

All Rights Reserved.
Thanks! That appears to solve the problem with 5.0. Now I can focus on 5.1...

I wouldn't. I managed to get a version of 5.1 to build once, but it did horrible, horrible things to my database. Definitely not ready for prime time on IRIX.

All Rights Reserved.