SGI: hinv

Indy R4600 133MHz, 128MB, 24-bit Newport NG1

This is my old work workstation, Mihoshi from country.com in 1996. I brought it home when it was retired and used it for a while, but it has been off for a few years. It has and external caddy-load CD-rom drive, 2 Seagate ST39173N 9GB hard drives, and a Phobos G100 100Mbit ethernet card. I removed one of the 9GB drives due to noise and heat. I decided to fire it up to see if it still works. It does. The drive sounds a bit like a popcorn popper, but it always has. I'd like to get a quieter, bigger drive and max the ram at some point.
It is running IRIX 6.2, which is what it retired with. Still has Netscape Communicator and a lot of the Netscape dev tools installed. It can pull up nekochan.net (styling is a little off) but I can't log in from it. Would like to compile Synergy 1.5 for it for keyboard and mouse sharing with my desktop Windows and Linux boxes.

Edit: Upgraded the RAM to 256MB from 128, and installed a 73GB 2.5" Seagate Savvio drive with the contents of the 2 9GB drives.

Code: Select all

Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
1 133 MHZ IP22 Processor
FPU: MIPS R4600 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 2.0
CPU: MIPS R4600 Processor Chip Revision: 2.0
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Main memory size: 256 Mbytes
Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam connected
Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Graphics board: Indy 24-bit
mihoshi 51% /usr/gfx/gfxinfo -v
Graphics board 0 is "NG1" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
24 bitplanes, NG1 revision 6, REX3 revision B, VC2 revision A
MC revision C, xmap9 revision A, cmap revision D, bt445 revision D
Display 1280x1024 @ 76Hz, monitor id 15
mihoshi 52% uname -a
IRIX mihoshi 6.2 03131015 IP22

Also from the same job I have a teal Indigo 2 and a Challenge S that I'll post separately when/if I get them going, and a Challenge L that I didn't have space or power for, so I eventually donated to the Jurassic Park:Origins guys. And bunches of SGI CD's from the late 90's to early 2000's.

--
Stephen
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Indy: -ChallengeS
Pic or it didn't happen...
Great looking Indy... Complete with Indycam!
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
Nice setup. Always like the Indys. :)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Wow that's a beaut! I've got one just like it that I still use for running PV Wave ... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Thanks for the complements!

A couple of questions:
Has anyone "restyled" an LCD/flat panel monitor to look more like an SGI Monitor? Granite paint?
Anybody have any spare chrome plastic SGI "bug" logos? I had 3 or 4 non-working SGI tube monitors that I recycled a few years ago, and didn't think to try to pry the logos off.
My el-cheapo "Balance" monitor doesn't quite fit the style of the Indy, but at least it is native 1280x1024 and works with SOG.

I am using a dip-switch style 13w3-VGA cable ( http://amzn.com/B001UJCL6Q http://www.cablesonline.com/613mtohdmsvg.html ) set up as "SGI Sync on Green" It works, but defaults to 1024x768 (which I guess makes sense with no id/sense pins connected). I set monitor h in prom, and it stays at 1280x1024 now, but it defaults to 60HZ. It will run at 76HZ (tried it with setmon) but it doesn't last past reboots. Any way to make the refresh frequency more permanent?
I might have a logo, let me check my inventory. It would have been from an Origin 200 front door.

Why bother forcing a refresh rate faster than 60 Hz? Unless you're looking at a CRT monitor I don't see the point. 60 Hz is just fine feeding a LCD (as long as it syncs properly).

I really like the Indy. My Indy was out running Photoshop at a local vintage computer faire last weekend.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S
japes wrote: I might have a logo, let me check my inventory. It would have been from an Origin 200 front door.

Cool, thanks.

japes wrote: Why bother forcing a refresh rate faster than 60 Hz? Unless you're looking at a CRT monitor I don't see the point. 60 Hz is just fine feeding a LCD (as long as it syncs properly).

Hmmm, I thought it had a slight shimmer/flicker at 60Hz that went away when I set it higher. Maybe just psychological...

japes wrote: I really like the Indy. My Indy was out running Photoshop at a local vintage computer faire last weekend.

That's awesome. I didn't know PS was even available for Irix.

--
Stephen
Sorry to say but if your LCD is flickering the backlight bulb/ballast is probably on it's way out. It has nothing to do with the refresh rate... :( If it's a cheapie it may have always done it and be nothing to worry about :)

Very nice indy, I had PS 3.0 on Irix and it did really well on octane and onyx. (I have not owned an indy, yet)
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
I've got PS 3.0 on my Octane (and Illustrator 5.5 and Premiere 4.2) and it is still eminently useful as an image editor. For simply viewing images I much prefer xv, it loads 10 times faster than PS and for all that is still a pretty respectable image editor...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...