SGI: Computer Graphics

Designing with Irix? - Page 1

Hi gentlemen,

I would like to proof, that it is possible to do some good web/2d work with an o2 and some good freeware stuff…

or so to speak… to put the little sgi to some real use *G*…

Unfortunately… I have no idea… about some things… *G*

These are my "prerequisites":

1.How to deal with Mac Postscript fonts…
and with opentype Fonts in Irix… ?

2.Is there an acceptable vector grafix program… for irix and for free…?

3. I downloaded the gimp2 package… from foetz… well… it just doesnt startup… *G* (I am not so good at fixing paths… – I hope that it is all that went wrong… I also dont know the exact prereqs.)

4.And if it runs… how do I work with those opentype fonts in gimp… ?

Well… many questions… Is there any short solution for all that… :-)

If I can get this things fixed… I am all set… and can try… :-)

I searched already my a** off… and didn't find much help on the net…
Therefore I thought I might as well post it here… :-)

BTW: Running System is a sgi o2 r10k… running 6.5.20

Cheers,

Martin

P.S.: BTW… is it possible to point the software manager to scan a directory… and resolv conflicts on its own…
I have allmost all freeware tardists on my harddisk… and I find it tiresome to resolv all conflicts…

P.P.S.: When I am all set I think I will write a "Dummy's Guide to productive IRIX Multimedia Production" *G*…

I already learned how to install IRIX… how to set up a install server… how to install IRIX from the net… how to resolf dependecies… and such stuff…
how to use fx.ARCS… how to repartition disks… how to add them… (without GUI BTW)… it just cantbe that I cant get those fonts into the system… *G*

P.P.P.S.: Anyway… never had so much fun with my cloth on… :P
--
Apple Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 2GB RAM
SGI Octane2 r12k 400 1.5 GB
and some other stuff… that won't count…
If you have freeware installed you might start with the freeware version of the gimp 1.2 .
There is a mac font conversion utility -- I'd have to dig a bit for that one.
Sodipodi is a vector illustration progam, also on freeware.
Xfig is another (older) vector drawing program.
running fixpath from the freeware site should set your paths for you. In general, the freeware executabales are in /usr/freeware/bin I think foetz puts his stuff in /usr/local/bin
mainframe.ai wrote: Hi gentlemen,
I would like to proof, that it is possible to do some good web/2d work with an o2 and some good freeware stuff…

The standard solution for web design on IRIX is "CosmoCreate"; even when maybe you could prefer do the job on "Mozilla's Composer".

Then you can publish your pages using "SiteMgr".

Anyway, please take account that I'm not a web designer, but a C++/OpenGL programmer; and I've used both only to keep up to date my very simply website. So, probably there'll be over there more "speciallyst" tool relateds to HTML...

Good luck! ;)
You mean I'm the only one left who uses vim for web-site design these days? As for graphics, Gimp is decent (at best in my opinion), Photoshop for Irix is old, but still probably better, though you can't get that anymore, so your only hope is to have it just happen to be already installed on a machine you get off of Ebay or what-not.

The vector apps mentioned above (SodiPodi preferably) aren't bad, though I'm not much of an artist so maybe they are and I just don't know it :)
Hello again,

my question is primarily…
how to get open-type fonts… working… on IRIX…
I did not find any resources on the web concerning that…

I will try the vector app… recommended, and of course I want to use gimp…
But I dont know how the installation process is going… I installed the gimp2-foetz-edition into /usr/local but it did not startup…
Hm… perhaps I need to look after some prereqs… Dunno…

Anyway… Webdesign is settled… CosmoCreate is enough… :-)
VIM will do for everything else… :-)
That is no concern… :-)

If anyone has still the installation procedure for the gimp2 present in mind…
Please feel free… :-)
And help me get those damned fonts installed… :-) PLEEEEEAZE…

Cheers,

Martin

P.S.: After re-read i accept that my post sounds like I am a complete dumba** … :-)

Nevertheless…
--

Apple Macbook Pro C2D 2.33 2GB RAM

SGI Octane2 r12k 400 1.5 GB

and some other stuff… that won't count…
If you are intent on gimp 2, you might try the Nekoware/beta version I just built. It installs with SoftwareManager (tardist) and will prompt you for the prereqs (i.e. gtk+ and libart). You can get both of those tardists from the same location. Each one will then prompt you for more prerequists just like SGI freeware. Eventually it should run. (You'll want /usr/nekoware/bin in your path, or just type /usr/nekoware/bin/gimp).
vegac wrote: You mean I'm the only one left who uses vim for web-site design these days? As for graphics, Gimp is decent (at best in my opinion), Photoshop for Irix is old, but still probably better, though you can't get that anymore, so your only hope is to have it just happen to be already installed on a machine you get off of Ebay or what-not.

The vector apps mentioned above (SodiPodi preferably) aren't bad, though I'm not much of an artist so maybe they are and I just don't know it :)

Yes, you are the only one left using Vim. The rest of us have moved up to emacs. :P

Personally, I like Gimp. I think that for most tasks, Gimp 1.4 is as good or better than Photoshop 3. Sure, it doesn't do CMYK, but that isn't relevent to this topic anyway.

As to vector programs, SodiPodi may be usable, but the last time I used it, it was no where near as nice as even corel draw for illustration type stuff. Now that I look at the web site though, I'm realizing I haven't used it in a very long time, so perhaps I should keep my mouth shut.

For more technical vector drawing, there are a lot of nice free tools depending on what you want. I've used Dia for a few things. I've used Xfig for a few things. Both are pretty god.
is there like an irix tardist of this around Sodipodi ??
that freeware vector app

anyone got a link ?

mis
Best regards

MIS
jdboyd wrote: Personally, I like Gimp. I think that for most tasks, Gimp 1.4 is as good or better than Photoshop 3. Sure, it doesn't do CMYK, but that isn't relevent to this topic anyway.

I'm a Eclipse man. Without registration (big $$) you can only work up to 1280 x 1024 or so, but that's big enough for me, usually.

As to vector programs, SodiPodi may be usable, but the last time I used it, it was no where near as nice as even corel draw for illustration type stuff. Now that I look at the web site though, I'm realizing I haven't used it in a very long time, so perhaps I should keep my mouth shut.

For more technical vector drawing, there are a lot of nice free tools depending on what you want. I've used Dia for a few things. I've used Xfig for a few things. Both are pretty god.

You could always use Illustrator. It has an okay reputation ... :-)
I tried Sodipodi on Windows a couple days ago. It's kinda cool, but still pretty buggy and limited. I've spent a little time with Illustrator and that seems a lot better.
jdboyd wrote: Personally, I like Gimp. I think that for most tasks, Gimp 1.4 is as good or better than Photoshop 3. Sure, it doesn't do CMYK, but that isn't relevent to this topic anyway.

btw, for image processing there's also this:

http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

I mention it because foetz very kindly did an Irix compile the other day. You'll find it in his download area.
hamei wrote: You could always use Illustrator. It has an okay reputation ... :-)

Oh, does that mean they've started issueing licenses for Illustrator on Irix again? Very cool! Even if it is only version 5.5 (which I think is one of the better versions anyway).
squeen wrote: If you are intent on gimp 2, you might try the Nekoware/beta version I just built. It installs with SoftwareManager (tardist) and will prompt you for the prereqs (i.e. gtk+ and libart). You can get both of those tardists from the same location. Each one will then prompt you for more prerequists just like SGI freeware. Eventually it should run. (You'll want /usr/nekoware/bin in your path, or just type /usr/nekoware/bin/gimp).

nice!

you got gimp2 compiled with mipspro?
i got several issues i couldn't resolve... :?
r-a-c.de
jdboyd wrote: For more technical vector drawing, there are a lot of nice free tools depending on what you want. I've used Dia for a few things. I've used Xfig for a few things. Both are pretty god.

Dia is my way. I can't imagine currently a vector graphics drawing program more easy to handle. I use every single day to arrange my programming diagrams before coding. Wonderful little piece of technology!

My only preventive point is: with IRIX 6.5.24 seems less stable, and some operations hang up the app... :(

(Anyone knows any fix?)
Diego wrote: Dia is my way. I can't imagine currently a vector graphics drawing program more easy to handle. I use every single day to arrange my programming diagrams before coding. Wonderful little piece of technology!

When I want diagrams for programming (say, state machines, object models, etc), I use a program from AT&T (opensource, not that hard to get onto Irix) called vizgraph. It does a nice job of putting out graphs from a simple text file format. I usually have it spit out postscript files for printing or conversion to PDFs, however, for graphs complex enough to give it some trouble it will spit out Dia files that can then be tweaked in Dia.

The thing that I really love about vizgraph is that I like to use code generators for various tasks, like state machines. So, I modify the code generator to spit out both C code for the state machine, but also the vizgraph file for the state machine. That way I don't have to worry about there being differences between the printed graphical representation and the C code. I think it's a very powerful way of working.

Of course, this is now starting to trail a bit off topic, unless the original poster is really interested in web sites for programming documentation.
jdboyd wrote: When I want diagrams for programming (say, state machines, object models, etc), I use a program from AT&T (opensource, not that hard to get onto Irix) called vizgraph. It does a nice job of putting out graphs from a simple text file format. I usually have it spit out postscript files for printing or conversion to PDFs, however, for graphs complex enough to give it some trouble it will spit out Dia files that can then be tweaked in Dia.

Hi JDBoyd ;) ,

...sounds like a really great way to do the dealt. Anyway, it uses something like <HTML> syntax, or so? ...I don't know these app...

jdboyd wrote: The thing that I really love about vizgraph is that I like to use code generators for various tasks, like state machines. So, I modify the code generator to spit out both C code for the state machine, but also the vizgraph file for the state machine. That way I don't have to worry about there being differences between the printed graphical representation and the C code. I think it's a very powerful way of working.

...mmmmmmhhh... evil man... you're temptting me! :lol: ...I think we could arrange a new entry on Fluid's menues to do the job... but not a lot of time here to new modds on FLTK/Fluid (I was making a lot of this last months to get new Widgets, Events, and Array Types...)

jdboyd wrote: Of course, this is now starting to trail a bit off topic, unless the original poster is really interested in web sites for programming documentation.

Yes; sorry Martin! :lol: ...we are programming addicts! ;)
jdboyd wrote:
hamei wrote: You could always use Illustrator. It has an okay reputation ... :-)

Oh, does that mean they've started issueing licenses for Illustrator on Irix again? Very cool! Even if it is only version 5.5 (which I think is one of the better versions anyway).

You're rattling the bars on purpose, right ? :-)

Screw Adobe. "Stealing" software is not a criminal act. It is a civil offense. The damages are monetary. If the copyright holder refuses to sell the product, then they can't very well claim damages, can they ? Adobe in particular has to be one of the worst offenders against decency in this respect. MANY people with legal licenses have tried to get a new license from Adobe when disaster struck their computers, only to be refused. Adobe was one of the very very few companies which refused to free NeXT applications for individuals when NeXT went tits-up. Overall, they are scum without a leg to stand on if people hack old Illustrator licenses when they want to move it from the old Indy to their new Octane ....

Admittedly, it's not that great a program ... but it's a heck of a ot better than Sodipodi :-)
hamei wrote:
jdboyd wrote:

You're rattling the bars on purpose, right ? :-)

Screw Adobe. "Stealing" software is not a criminal act. It is a civil offense. The damages are monetary. If the copyright holder refuses to sell the product, then they can't very well claim damages, can they ? Adobe in particular has to be one of the worst offenders against decency in this respect. MANY people with legal licenses have tried to get a new license from Adobe when disaster struck their computers, only to be refused. Adobe was one of the very very few companies which refused to free NeXT applications for individuals when NeXT went tits-up. Overall, they are scum without a leg to stand on if people hack old Illustrator licenses when they want to move it from the old Indy to their new Octane ....

Admittedly, it's not that great a program ... but it's a heck of a ot better than Sodipodi :-)

Okay; you have me convinced now Hamei: I'll never refuse the sell of licenses, even if the earth's people needs to be evacuated to travell to the moon or a far-far-away-planet as new home for all... :lol:
I ahve to throw my 2 cents in and state that I am using an IRIX baox for pretty much the same tasks. Web/2D and typical office tasks. As for Cosmocreate, I find BLUEFISH to be sweet. I would like a very good vector program to use but Gimp and Bluefish are the two key apps for me. There are alot of font issues to resolve but if I can get what I design on the IRIX box to render the saem on a Mac or PC then I am happy.

Cheers
Always act incompetent, so they expect less of you and your job will be much easier.
similarly i use my beautiful octane for web development. although i mostly do back end dev using nedit/vim/ssh/etc, i also use the GIMP.

at the moment i am still using quanta+ forwarded from a linux box for complicated or remote projects, but i am hoping we will be able to get a working quanta+ some time in the near future.
ubi dubium ibi libertas