Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Operation "Octane" completed succesfully :)

Hi !

A week ago my long awaited Octane finally arrived. And now, there is one more happy SGI user in the universe :D

Here is hinv:

1 250 MHZ IP30 Processor
CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 3.4
FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
Main memory size: 512 Mbytes
Xbow ASIC: Revision 1.3
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
IOC3 serial port: tty1
IOC3 serial port: tty2
IOC3 parallel port: plp1
Graphics board: ESSI
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, pci 2
Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 12.0, number 1

It has 4 GB disk with IRIX 6.5.14m installed.

Not bad, isn't it :) .

I bought it on eBay for $100 + $100 shipping to NYC + free shipping to Poland = $200 total.
I think it's a very good price for such a system, but i'll have to spend 5 times more for upgrades (ah sweet TRAMS ;) ), anyway :) .

It works perfectly with SUN GDM20E20 monitor. I mention it here, because some time ago I asked on irc #nekochan and some people told me that Sun monitors don't work with SGIs at all, or at least require some modifications to work. However, I found on google that GDM20E20 works ok.
Now I can confirm it. Yes Sun GDM20E20 works with SGIs just out of the box and it's great monitor in every aspect.

I already did a small upgrade - replaced burnt out light bulbs with LED and the lightbar is working great :) , but now there is a time for bigger upgrade - I definitely need more disk space and here comes my first question:

- IBM DRHS36D 36GB
- Seagate ST118202LC 18GB

Do these disks work ok with Octanes ? I know they ought to, but I want to make sure, to avoid any unnecessary trouble.

Next thing: powersupply handle was broken during shipping and I'm not sure if it is possible / safe to pull out the powersupply without that handle. I think it shouldn't be a problem but I want to make sure before I screw up my Octane :P
I think I'll have to dismantle the computer to clean it inside. For now, I only removed the dust from air vents and other outside parts. And there was lot of dust so I think the same is inside.

I'm new to IRIX, but not to the unix world. I've been using various unix flavors for 5+ years. Mainly linux, BSD ans Solaris. As soon as I get bigger disk and some stuff installed (gcc, maybe mipspro) I'm gonna help you with porting software to irix and building more tardists.

:)
Ey! Witam! Jeszcze jeden Polak na Nekochan! Hehe

Ey! Witam! Jeszcze jeden Polak na Nekochan! Hehe

Zawsze milo spotkac bratnia dusze :)
A czy oprocz ciebie i mnie sa tu jeszcze jacys ?
Nie wiem, a mysle ze nie.

(Everyone: Excuse that, I just felt I needed to welcome the only second Polish speaker here properly... ;-) )