Everything Else

I may not have any SGI machine yet, but I love 3D animation

What's everyone's opinion about PCs here? Yeah, so far, all computer I have that let me do significant work are PCs. But in the early 1990s I had an Amiga, and there was one particular demo I always liked: Enigma, by Phenomena. It was one of the few demos that showed polygonal scenes.

Recently I've seen it again, so I decided to create an improved version of it, as an experiment to see how far I could go with it. I've added a lot of general detail to the environments and objects, texture mapping, bump mapping, specular mapping... it was a lot of fun to make.

And here it is:

Soon, I'm also gonna release VRML versions of the environments it shows. I wonder if someone is ever gonna explore them with an SGI machine!
Very cool. Wish I had a clue how to even begin even something simple.
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
thegoldbug wrote: Very cool. Wish I had a clue how to even begin even something simple.

First, get a modelling program. For example, Blender is free and cross-platform.
Second, find a tutorial that explains how to do something simple and introduces new users to the interface of the program.
Third, after you assimilated the first tutorial, start experimenting yourself. Then find more tutorials, and alternate executing the tasks they explain with free experimentation. By now you should have realized if you like it or not, and if you do like it, just go with the flow and make whatever you want.

EDIT:
Now I made and released five VRML worlds based on Enigma Reloaded! Have you ever regretted that the original Enigma demo was not interactive and did not let you explore the locations it showed? Well, now you can explore them at will! http://devilmaster.altervista.org/enigma.html