Everything Else

alice project, playing with heatsinks, Apple Powerbook G3 hack

"handicraft", no cost analysis, no industrial process analysis, just do something cool, just do it, ten years ago I wanted to put my hands on G4 but I had no money to buy one, so I tried to hack my second hand PowerBook G3. It was in 2005, gentoo/PPC was a young child. I had a teacher in my university that helped me a lot with the design and thermal simulations, he was extremely good in CAD, and the CAM process was free because done inside the campus: we used the equipment of a laboratory in our free time.

Definitely not brilliant, the result is fine, no doubt limited by the poor technology we used for the heat sink: we didn't use super heat-pipes (every modern laptop uses them), we just redesigned the previous heatsink and switched from aluminum to copper, and adding more copper and more "exchange surface". We didn't get the thermal resistance reduced by the magnitude that a super heat-pipe can offer, so it's not efficient, but it works!
Please do not laugh too much (it's difficult, I know) about the little fan-cooler installed, It's funny, it's madness, but I can assure it's useful. Oh, and note the power on button, it has been installed under the little white apple in the top center of the screen border, you just need to touch it to switch the machine on.
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
Good luck getting that past the TSA !

interesting MOTD you've got there... 8-)
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: Good luck getting that past the TSA !

T.S.A.? can you spell it ?

• is it the TSA of Preparing Cambridge Test Service Admissions ?
  • is it the TSA of Transportation Security Administration , which revealed security failures at dozens of the nation's busiest airports, and TSA agents at the Burlington International Airport in Vermont stopped former James Bond actor Pierce ?

guardian452 wrote: interesting MOTD you've got there... 8-)

thank you, my pleasure!

that /etc/motd - Message Of The Day - file comes from what I have found inside a NetBSD hard drive
they gave me at the C.C.C. event ( C.C.C. stands for Computer Chaos Camp , it's an hack-camping event in Germany)

let me show you the evolution: Minerva is the next step!
  • completed in 2009
  • improved head sink
  • the fan cooler has been removed
  • holes on the bottom and on the top
  • a big heat sink grid has been built with aluminum and installed on under the top plastic
  • it's still laptop-shape, while Alice was converted into tablet-shape

Minerva is a PowerBook G3-PPC750@400Mhz, converted into G4-PPC7410@500Mhz (it's unstable >=@550Mhz)
it runs gentoo with a pretty and useful stage4 (with Xorg/x11 nanoX-profiled)

that's all, folks :D

Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
With an Alice hack like that I think you need to be worried more about Umbrella Corporation security than the TSA...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
do you mean what happened with the homemade misunderstood clock?
- Looks like a bomb - and a Muslim teen Ahmed was arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

because they haven't yet seen my EAT generator, buddy, it really looks like a bomb
ofcourse it's not, but … it's 10K..40K high voltage generator
it can really hurt people, I wanted to build to test candles in combustion engine
currently it's damaged, I just need to pick up 3 new inductors coils

oh, so might be a problem to come in USA for me? Do I need a special pass?
might I need a T shirt with the message " don't stop the science, pleaZe " ?

( :D )
ivelegacy wrote: do you mean what happened with the homemade misunderstood clock?
- Looks like a bomb - and a Muslim teen Ahmed was arrested for bringing homemade clock to school

because they haven't yet seen my EAT generator, buddy, it really looks like a bomb
ofcourse it's not, but … it's 10K..40K high voltage generator
it can really hurt people, I wanted to build to test candles in combustion engine
currently it's damaged, I just need to pick up 3 new inductors coils

oh, so might be a problem to come in USA for me? Do I need a special pass?
might I need a T shirt with the message " don't stop the science, pleaZe " ?

( :D )

Eeeehh, just put it in an aluminum box with an apple sticker on it, it'll sneak right through :lol:

Unfortunately Ahmed did not know this trick, he could have built a far more dangerous device but if it looks good he would have had no trouble at all :cry:
Next step, new fun: I am going to catalyst (gentoo verb) a working " uclibc-stage3 ".
Fingers crossed :D
is there a grammar mistake in the MOTD?

is it " welcome to Hell " (without "the") ?

I see " Welcome to the Jungle " (Guns & Roses song), " Welcome to Hell " (Spawn Comics)
funny grammar, like " happYness " vs " happIness " (used in "The Pursuit Of Happyness", Gabriele Muccino & Will Smith movie)
LOL :lol:
ivelegacy wrote: is there a grammar mistake in the MOTD?

is it " welcome to Hell " (without "the") ?

I see " Welcome to the Jungle " (Guns & Roses song), " Welcome to Hell " (Spawn Comics)
funny grammar, like " happYness " vs " happIness " (used in "The Pursuit Of Happyness", Gabriele Muccino & Will Smith movie)
LOL :lol:

That is correct... "Welcome to Hell". Alternatively, you could use an adjective... "Welcome to Robot Hell". :twisted:

Kind of like Facebook vs. The Facebook . It only works if the The is part of the name. Of course, I got rid of my facebook account years ago so :roll:

and she gets her feet, well, not 100% completed, as, I still have to attach them to the chassis
but Alice can say "progress" :D :D :D