Everything Else

Retrochallenge 2013 Summer Challenge

I hope you don't mind posting a couple of links to Retrochallenge here once again. I can't believe it's been five months since the end of the Winter Warmup!

Retrochallenge 2013 Summer Challenge - Entry Now Open!

Yes folks, it's your bi-annual excuse to shun all things modern and immerse yourself in your classic kit for a month of retro-goodness. :P
If you are new to retrochallenge head over to http://www.retrochallenge.org/ for more details and examples of previous entries if you need ideas. The results of the previous competition, the winter warmup, are here ). For my last retrochallenge I went back to school and completed a BBC Basic project that had been resurrected from a 28 year old floppy that a classmate had kept in his attic!

I'll update Nekochan with the list of entrants as they come in. Remember: we give you the excuse you need to go full-retro-jacket for a month!

About Retrochallenge

In a nutshell, the RetroChallenge is a loosely disorganised gathering of RetroComputing enthusiasts who collectively do stuff with old computers for a month.

The event is very much open to interpretation… individuals set there own challenges, which can range from programming to multimedia work; hardware restoration to exploring legacy networking… or just plain dicking around. It really doesn’t matter what you do, just so long as you do it.

While the RetroChallenge has its competitive side, it’s not really a contest… it’s more like global thermonuclear war — everyone can play, but nobody really wins.

Come on… give it a go! – At this point i do not have any prizes, but i hear a birdie has offered an Atari Portfolio, just like the one used in Terminator to hack a cash machine. Ooer!

Other prizes will be posted when i have them.

Competition Rules

• RetroChallenge commences 1st July 2013 and runs until 31st July 2013.
  • In order to qualify, computer systems must by approximately 10 years old (or older!) however exceptions will always be made for exotica!
  • Gaming consoles and PDAs qualify if they were made in the previous century.
  • Where appropriate, replica hardware and emulators may be used.
  • Entrants are responsible for adequately documenting their projects and submitting occasional updates during the contest.
  • Projects may encompass any aspect of retro-computing that tickles the fancy of the individual entrant.
  • Winners will be carefully selected and thoughtfully chosen prizes presented (hopefully before the next challenge commences).
  • Have fun!

Image , Fuel, VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/60, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, DEC GIGI, Sun Ultra 5, HP ZX6000, DECstation 5000/240, VAXstation 3100s, MVII, Commodore 64 & Flyer, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10